The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Lead Free Bullets

782 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Hiamovi 
#1 ·
I want to try lead free bullets.I want to know from people that have used them any suggestions.The calibers will be 243 and 308.I also need to know if a standard twist rate barrel will stabilize them.Is a lighter or heavier grain bullet needed.How well do they work on deer?Speeds for best terminal performance would be great,I have a chrono. What I don't need is a lead free versus lead debate.I know they cost twice as much for half the bullets compared to lead.

#2 ·
I have shot a fair amount of 130 and 150 grain TSX bullets out of a few 308 Winchesters. Standard twist (1-10, 1-12) worked fine for me. Think I was getting around 3100fps with the 130's and around 2750 with the 150's. Powders I liked, TAC, 742, BLC2, and CFE223, always ignited by a magnum primer. Barnes recommends a light crimp on the 130's but I never found a need for it. Oh, and I never found a deer that could stop one.

#4 ·
The only difference is their length, compared to normal they are longer and very slim on the front area,you'll need to adjust you seated die. They penetrate much better than normal bullets and I've loaded them for a long time and have never recovered a single bullet from any game animal. 130 in .308 will be more than enough, 90 in.243 will zip right through any deer. I shot a 200 grain .338 x-bullet through a telephone pole at 200 yards..I loaded years ago and don't even know if they make it a 50 x-bullets in 22/250, he killed a ton of does with it at 3700 fps, every bullet passed right threw and none were ever recovered..

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.