The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
been a while since I did any casting. come to find wheel weights are not made of lead anymore?
a friend who owns a garage gave me a bucket of them, but they seem too hard and are marked AL-MC on the side.
any thoughts?

·
Registered
889 Posts
Alot of WW is now zinc. And other metals. You have to separate them. It is pretty easy to do. Just use your thermometer and take the temperature to the point where only the lead will melt and skim off all the rest. Lead melts at the lowest temperature of all the stuff I have seen so far. Tom.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Most Zinc weights are marked Zn. My last two five gallon buckets contained a lot of steel and zinc. I ended up hand sorting them. I like to separate the stick on weights anyway as they are almost pure lead. Any zinc in your melt will make it useless for casting. Like Hoghead said, keep your pot temp low and if any weights float to the top, immediately remove them, they are probably zinc.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
would it not be easy to test for specific gravity to sort these? Lead is 11.34 g/cubic cm, and zinc is only 7.14

Seems to me that even alloys would weigh a good bit more than the zinc ones...there has to be a redneck way of sorting this stuff out before melting?

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
google is my friend....

alot of folks are posting about using a fine file during the sorting process. Zinc weights will skid across the file where lead bites right in... just a thought. a melting pot with a thermostat sounds like a good idea right about now. just turn it up enough to melt the lead and leave the zinc floaters solid enough to skim off

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
been using the file and am finding most is zinc or some other alloy
did find a lead doughnut in the bucket, just shy of 20 pounds

1 - 6 of 6 Posts