The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was wondering how many of you guys use layout blinds for geese. i usually hunt the middle of the fields and lately i feel that i have been having problems calling geese in because of our blinds. does anyone else think the geese are getting smart to seeing 4 bumps in the middle of the field?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Conceal yourself, its the most important factor. Dig them in if you have too, re mud them in the field if the field is muddy, collect grass the day before, use snow covers, dont track up around ur blinds. See lots of guys walk around the blinds while there waiting for geese and make a big flat spot or some kind of spot that looks different than the rest of the field. This time of year, use fence rows, roads, tree lines, ditch rows to your back if wind permitting. You could always ditch the blinds and use natural cover when available. Switch it up, dont be afraid to not be right on the x, 9/10 groups feel they have to hunt the middle of the field or highest point and often its an area with no cover, it also gives the birds the room to circle and check you out. Point intended, I dont think blinds are the problem as its more the way there presented to the birds.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
NaturalBornKillR said:
Conceal yourself, its the most important factor. Dig them in if you have too, re mud them in the field if the field is muddy, collect grass the day before, use snow covers, dont track up around ur blinds. See lots of guys walk around the blinds while there waiting for geese and make a big flat spot or some kind of spot that looks different than the rest of the field. This time of year, use fence rows, roads, tree lines, ditch rows to your back if wind permitting. You could always ditch the blinds and use natural cover when available. Switch it up, dont be afraid to not be right on the x, 9/10 groups feel they have to hunt the middle of the field or highest point and often its an area with no cover, it also gives the birds the room to circle and check you out. Point intended, I dont think blinds are the problem as its more the way there presented to the birds.
Truth Paul! The NUMBER ONE thing to be sure you have PERFECT is your blinds/hide! It's second only to location on my list of things to make a goose hunt.

Location.
Concealment.
Realistic decoy spread.
Motion (flag) - But only when used correctly!
Calling.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts