The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone show me the the laws on hunting land that is not posted or marked in anyway, but is private. And I don't care about you opinion on how you should always ask permission anyway. I want to see the actual laws on tresspasing and private property. I just cant seem to find them myself. The reason I am asking is because I found a good set of land that is way over populated with turkeys.. Im talking about birds everywere. And I want to hunt it. I cannot find a land owner, I asked the whole 2 people that live on the street and they said it is private but they don't know who owns it. So I would appriciate any help. And don't give me your crap about hunting private land you dont own, im sorry im a college student and cannot afford land right now, If i want to go hang out with 100 other people in a few square miles and try to call in the same gobbler ill go check out state game lands.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
If you go to the courthouse in the county the land is in you can find out who owns it and their address will be listed even if they live in another state...You can contact them to see if they will let you hunt turkeys on it...Sometimes they will say yes sometimes no but you must listen to them.If you trespass you can be prosecuted..Tell them you are willing to help them do groundswork occasionally.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Over populated with turkeys! Go to the county courthouse and look at the property platt maps and find the owner, some courthouses have this on line, find out who the owner is and ask permission. If you weren't invited or have permission you are trespassing. Instead of trying to find if there are loopholes in the law do it right and get permission, then both you and the landowner will be happier.

·
Registered
402 Posts
It doesn't matter if it is posted or not. Just because I don't have signs in my back yard, does that mean you can just go out there whenever you please? No, of course not. Look up state tresspasing laws if you really want to find the law that makes it very clear. You can take a chance if you want, but the law is the law. Only in SD or ND (can't remember which one) can you hunt on land thats not posted legally and that's just because it's hard to find the landowners at times. I don't understand why anyone would think they have the right to just go on property that is not theirs at basically any time they please. Not trying to pick on you white, it's just this question comes up so much and people are very misimformed sadly.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Well Mr. college student, don't waste your time asking any landowner for permission to hunt because your attitude will get you turned down every time you ask. Wow, imagine that, a college student!

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
WOW, Nothing like asking for advice on how you can tresspass on someones property. As a poor college student maybe you should be concerned with the possible fines for tresspassing. Between the attitude and the general distain for common courtesy of getting permission you portray yourself as the slob hunter that gets huntable land posted for the rest of us. As previously stated, do the home work. Find the owner and ask for permission. If you can't find the owner or are denied permission stay off the property.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
I sure hope its my property! I love it when I catch guys with your attitude

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
Basied off of your location I assume it is in Blair county. If not and it is in Cambria here is the link to Cambria county gis http://gis.co.cambria.pa.us/PublicGIS1/

Otherwise go to the Blair Co (or whatever county it is is) court house and look it up. Put yourself in the owners shoes and found others on your property without even asking. Do the right thing

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
The law is you need permission, JohnS said it. Get it and it could be your honey hole. SGLs and state forests are not as busy as u would think, unless you are lazy and stay near the roads and parking area. Not one car when i looked for morels today in a SGL at 9AM.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
You probably aren't going to find a law for hunting on unposted land. State law on property rights/ trespassing are what you are going to need to look up.

State law already says that private land doesn't need to be posted to keep people out. So the PGC can't make a law up stating that it's alright for you to trespass on unposted property to hunt.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Did you really think "don't give me your opinion" would work. Here of all places no less. Thanks for the laugh. Whats the next question.

·
Banned
4,988 Posts
So what you want is someone to tell you how to hunt a place that you want to because you can't find the owner.

Thats like me going away for a week and you see my pool, you can't find me to ask so you figure it is OK to take a swim..

·
Registered
297 Posts
Google earth-

College student sometimes equals =not to humble
older fart sometimes =wise humility
takes a wile to learn one gets you somewhere the other does not.
been there done that
Mike

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
No thats so high school. He's a big boy in colledge now.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Could well be, he hasn't been back.

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
What he wants to hear is someone to say..."hey its not posted so just hunt it" then when he gets caught he can say well someone told me if its not posted im allowed to hunt it...

1 - 20 of 35 Posts