The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any experience with this plant? From what I have read, it appears to be a winter annual that is quite hardy and well adapted to rocky, steep, acidic soils... I am looking at using to plant some sections of logging road that are rough. I was going it mix it with crimson clover and annual rye grass. Any experience with this plant? Thanks...

·
Registered
245 Posts
I planted some on retired log landings along with ryegrass and birdsfoot trefoil about 20 years ago. The flatpea reseeds and is still there while the others are long gone. It will take over a clearing and crowd out the other legumes and grasses. It may not work on your logging road if it doesn't get full sunlight.

I have never seen any wildlife eat the peas although turkeys and birds are supposed to use it. Deer won't touch it. You are right, it is very hardy, will grow in rocky acidic soil and is great for erosion control.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
I saw this stuff on log trails probably 10 years ago, and it did not seem like anything was eating it.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am not necessarily looking for deer to eat it. I want it to grow with nothing else will. I am only hand sowing it into areas that are steep and rocky to prevent further erosion. The fact that deer don't eat it may be a good thing. It may be more likely to take hold and not be eaten to a stub which tends to happen in my neck of PA where there are still way too many deer.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Well, then you may have found the right plant for the situation.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts