The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well the summer forging sessions have been few and far between. My wife had our daughter Eva a week early in the beginning of June but everyone was healthy so I was happy. I took a month off work but spent most of that time keeping my 2 year old son out of my wifes way. We spent that time well though hunting down and buying tools, we ended up bringing home a bridgeport milling machine or as I told my wife "a big drill press." There was no hiding that thing in the shop so I'm still hearing about it every once in a while haha.

But I was able to knock some projects out. During the wintertime I restore old handplanes. I picked this little finger plane up for $3. I cleaned it and tuned it up and decided it needed a wild iron to go with the wild colors. So here are some pics of a forge welded cable iron I made for it. I etched it in vinegar for about an hour and I really like the way it turned out.

The second picture is of a spike knife that I forge welded a piece of cable billet to so that it would have a hard-enable edge. I like the way it turned out. I still have to do some finish work on it and re etch it but the results look promising.

Attachments

·
Registered
388 Posts
Good stuff!! Cable is the hardest PW steel to make correctly/cleanly.
Congrats on the new addition! And on the Bridgeport too! They are a heckuva machine!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts