The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finished this horn this evening for my "camp neighbor". I have been puttering at it for about a year now.

The stand is an aged moose shed from Maine married to a small whitetail antler from here in Western PA. The original design had a mountain scene behind the barbed wire fence but he liked a bear sketch I had so the fence stayed and the bear replaced the mountain scene. He guides for the PA Elk season so it was only fitting to add an elk to one of the panels and a few tracks to kinda separate the front from the back. The spout plug is a piece of whitetail antler and I braided the strap with 6 strands of leather in 2 colors totalling 30ft in all. Hemp was used for the whipping and the tether for the strap. The end plug is black walnut. I like the look of a "Turks head" knot and that is what was used around the neck and brass plug to secure the strap and on the stand to help keep the horn from sliding on the stand when being displayed..
The horn is functional but was really designed around being a decoration at his camp. All of the carving and scrimsahw was done by hand using no power tools. I did use a router to fit the end plug, a bench grinder to work the spout plug to fit and a cordless drill for the spout channel and hole for the tether. The rest was done with files, a card scraper and various knives and small chisels.

I hope enjoys it as much as I enjoyed making it.

·
Banned
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I started it deer season 2011 and worked on it off and on thru April 12. Then picked it up again elk season 12 off and on till now. The hardest part for me is getting the animal I am sketching to resemble the actual animal I ma trying to sketch. I bought a couple books on drawing animals and it seemed to help. I had a couple horners look at it in Lewisburg this last weekend and I was glad to hear that I was on the right track. Picked up numerous pointers too! That show is well worth the 3.5 hr. drive!

The horn is 11" long. The strap is about 36". Thanks much for the compliments!! Now that I have made 3 for other people I'm considering finally making one for myself.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Jester you ar a true artisan!!!!!!!!!!
Great work!!!!!

Dave

·
Banned
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay arrowhead...I'm at the Valhalla Lodge...where are you at? Do I know you?? You got me thinking now!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts