The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any late season crossbow harvests? I haven't seen any on here yet. I got a handfull of hair and a wild cherry tree so far.
Having more trouble filling the doe tag with the darn X-bow. I just go out a few hours before dark, still fun though.

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
Nothing here in 5C - 5D either. A bit harder as they are herded up. A few smaller bucks still around . One bigger buck dropped his antlers already.

·
Registered
19,581 Posts
Will get out for a few sits after flintlock closes this saturday.

·
Registered
823 Posts
I haven't seen much activity lately either. Only saw 2 when I went driving for my bro-in-law last Saturday. My girl and I are going to sit in a blind tomorrow, and if we don't see anything by about 9:30, I am going to soft push a little patch of thicket that the deer usually hole up in late season.

Good luck all!

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Last week when it was warmer and foggy they were sneaking around. This week I haven't seen a thing. Too clear and crunchy in the leaves. Pawwed up areas, beds in the leaves, tracks in the leaves. They do a lot of that at night and hole up during the day.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
I just walked 2 miles around and through various clearcuts on my local GL. I didn't see a tail and very little poop or fresh sign. There were areas that look like they were hit hard but just not recently. I hunted three different areas between this week and last week and didn't see a tail. But that doesn't mean they were not there. My guess is they were either holding tight and letting me walk by or they cleared out long before I got close enough to see them.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I went back in a little farther tonight. Right where I wanted to go down over a trail, completely tore up like a barnyard. Tracks all over. Nothing moved back in there till dark.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got settled in against a chestnut oak at 2:30. Big flat low area on the mountain with a big waterhole. Tracks all over and some beds. About 5:02 I see deer moving in front of me. 2 big doe come straight at me. I had about a 30 yd. between 2 trees and didn't take it. Then one stopped and stared at me, started the head bob, then they spun around and gone.

·
Registered
19,581 Posts
Sat this afternoon and almost got it done. Seen 10 deer total with 8 of them being just out of range. I had 2 fawns close but chose to pass on them.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
treemouse said:
Got settled in against a chestnut oak at 2:30. Big flat low area on the mountain with a big waterhole. Tracks all over and some beds. About 5:02 I see deer moving in front of me. 2 big doe come straight at me. I had about a 30 yd. between 2 trees and didn't take it. Then one stopped and stared at me, started the head bob, then they spun around and gone.

They smelt all that Bengay on your shoulder

you can regroup and getem next at full strength..

·
Registered
19,581 Posts
Froze my butt off this afternoon in a light snow. Saw two at last light that were too far. Back at it tomorrow afternoon for the last deer hunt of 2015/16.

·
Registered
10,674 Posts
Good luck man. You sure put in the hours this season. I haven't been able to get out much since November and it has been killing me.

·
Registered
19,581 Posts
About 5 inches on the ground here in Pittsburgh. One last hunt in the fresh snow this afternoon!

·
Registered
19,581 Posts
Had five does bedded within sight but they got up and fed away. At last light, three bucks all filed past me at 15 yards. 2 six points and a 5 point. Ugh! Did my best to find enough legal points on one of them but it was not meant to be.

·
Registered
10,674 Posts
Nice that you got some action on the last day. Turkey season will be here before we know it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts