The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Hunt food sources... with what little of an acorn mast crop we had this year, if you can find any trees that dropped acorns good bet deer will be around. Also look for southern aspect thick bedding areas, like recent (10 yr or so) clear cuts. These offer both food (browse) and cover, but at the same time the deer are able to lay in the sun. If you hunt the edges of these clearcuts you can often catch deer getting up for a mid day stretch, or coming out of them or going back in just after first light or in the last hour of light. This is my game plan anyway! And when all else fails, mini 1 or 2 man pushes with 1 or 2 guys posted in strategic escape routes can be very effective! Have the drivers go SLOW and Quietly, as in no hoopin' and hollerin'! You want the deer to get up and sneak out or slowly walk out of the area to your standers. Hard to hit a deer doin' 90 MHP through the woods! lol Goodluck!

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
stay warm, protect your face from wind burn, and take chapstick.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Walk and drive good holding areas... deer are still spooky and returing back. Deer patterns can be hard to predict this time of year. Dont quit go out every chance you get. Give up a morning of sleeping in and get out there! You will have all winter to sleep in.... most important have fun and dont get discouraged if you miss. Anyone that hunts with a flitlock has missed and will miss agian!

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
hunterdan199 said:
hunt food sources .............
Prob the biggest one by far. Went out yesterday and sat on a BIG oak flat that is part of a series of benches from the top of a big ridge and has multiple benches down to the bottom. These benches in the past have been torn up in late season from deer, but when I walked around yesterday after sitting, there was very little sign of activiy. More I looked around, there were little to no acorns on the ground. walked about 1/4 to 1/2 mile out the ridge to a big thicket, and BAM, acorns on the ground and TOOOONS of deer sign. Areas all over from where they're rooting up acrons, droppings everywehere.. I know where I'll be concentrating the rest of the seasoin!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts