The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Late season here in 2Dthe finds me in kind of a "rut". Ive been going nonstop since the summer trying to find the right deer. There are plenty around, but at this point in the season, and with this constantly changing weather, im kind of at a loss for what to do next. Ive sat for hours, still hunted when the woods were quiet, we've even done small drives and big drives. I'm just throwing this out there to see if theres anything anyone has found to be succesful late season. The deer here arent highly pressured right now, and theres plenty of them, but they seem to be all bunched up already(which is strange with lack of pressure or the usual warlike atmosphere ive seen in the past) i have off tomorrow and plan on being in the woods from sun up to sundown. Someone has to have the secret recipe out there right? Where did my big boys go and when and where will I find them on their feet?

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
The big boys are holed up in some unusual but not necessarily out of the way places. Think out of the box.
I admire them by how they can "hide" without really hiding at all. They are watching us and they know where we are and where we go. Don't go there.

·
Registered
8,214 Posts
I would still hunt very slowly and cover quite a bit of
ground over the course of the day.

·
Banned
10,004 Posts
I'm going to try a new late season strategy this year its called not hunting anymore.
I'm forced to try that one myself, George, but perhaps for different reasons. I suffered most of the first week with a head cold that is now in my chest and has turned into bronchitis, so I'm probably done for rifle season. Hopefully I will be able to get out during flintlock. I still have an antlerless tag left for 4A, and then in January, bobcat season opens! Hope springs eternal, or somesuch?

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
Speedbeef,
There's no secret recipe. Find the thickest cover closest to the best food source in the area. Hunt in the cover on the downwind side.

·
Super Moderator
7,990 Posts
muttleysback said:
I'm going to try a new late season strategy this year its called not hunting anymore.
I'm forced to try that one myself, George, but perhaps for different reasons. I suffered most of the first week with a head cold that is now in my chest and has turned into bronchitis, so I'm probably done for rifle season. Hopefully I will be able to get out during flintlock. I still have an antlerless tag left for 4A, and then in January, bobcat season opens! Hope springs eternal, or somesuch?
Be careful....last year for the opener of rifle season I was in the same circumstance. Then I went to the doc (AGAIN) and was diagnosed with pneumonia.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
tdd said:
muttleysback said:
Be careful....last year for the opener of rifle season I was in the same circumstance. Then I went to the doc (AGAIN) and was diagnosed with pneumonia.
Last year a guy i worked with did the same. Head cold turned into pneumonia and sadly he passed away a few short weeks later. Guy was very active and no health issues. Was a total shock. Work one day hospital next day.

·
Registered
8,754 Posts
If we have snow, I will be looking for a fresh track to keep up with. Otherwise, I will be stillhunting the downwind side of thick cover or sneakin' and peakin' over the top of steep ridges!

·
Banned
10,004 Posts
Thanks to those who expressed concern in various ways. I am starting to feel better now, but am still having a few coughing fits and am babying myself and staying warm. Lots of chicken soup (they call it Jewish Pennicillin, don't they?) and orange juice. Unless a miracle happens in the next two days I'm done braving the elements. My 4A antlerless tag will just have to wait until flintlock season if it gets filled at all.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Hope you feel better soon and can get out there.

Do you mean lat-ER in the gun season of late season, as in after Christmas archery and flintlock?

Late regular gun season is usually a depressing time for me in 5C. Deer are super pressured, and definitely in spots where you would expect them to be, i.e. small thin fencerows, patches of private woods. A few years ago I watched what I would say was a 140-150 buck crawl out of a patch of high weeds no bigger than an average kitchen. It was next to the trampoline in a guy's back yard!

Late season after Christmas is a different story. Last year was awesome...a foot of snow on the ground told me exactly where to set up my stand between food and bedding. Extremely cold days, hunt mid day. And I LOVE hunting after a snowstorm in the late season. Good luck.

·
Registered
8,754 Posts
mutt, first of all welcome back! I had a bout with bronchitis a few years back and whipped it with a constant supply of chicken broth...as hot as I could drink it and lots of sweating under the blanket. Hope you are better in time to get a few more days afield! Good luck to you sir!

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
corey22 said:
I would still hunt very slowly and cover quite a bit of
ground over the course of the day.
+1

·
Registered
995 Posts
Looks like it's on the way! Hunt thick or steep areas - or places other hunters refrain from going. Also - its key to hunt expecting success, even when the cards are stacked agaist you. Often bucks seem to appear out of nowhere without much warning.

·
Registered
8,214 Posts
Get better mutt, hope you can get out in flintlock and fill
that doe tag!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts