The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the following apply? Crossbows are legal during late season archery, but NOT during Flintlock? The dates are the same

This is my first year with a crossbow and I argued they were exempt from late season....(only vertical?)

Expanded Use
The Pennsylvania Board of Game Commissioners approved an expansion of the use of crossbows for hunting in 2009. Hunters can use them during both the archery deer and bear seasons for the 2009/2010 seasons. The board amended the proposal to include a sunset date for the expanded crossbow use that will require board to vote on the measure again before June 30, 2012. In exchange for the six-week archery season, crossbows are now no longer legal during the October muzzleloader or late flintlock muzzleloader season.
I think I lost a bet this past weekend....It's gonna cost me a case of beer.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
To the best of my knowledge they are legal.

Even before they legalized xbows...you could use a xbow if you had a muzzleloader stamp.

So I would say you are good to go.

·
Registered
13,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was told today that they are inclusive, (only with an archery stamp not muzzy) I lost the bet and now owe a family member a case of beer!

May crossbows be used as part of the early muzzleloader or late flintlock seasons?
No, the Board specifically prohibited the use of crossbows as a “lesser sporting arm” for those participating in the October muzzleloader season for antlerless deer or the late flintlock muzzleloader season. However, archery hunters may choose to use a crossbow during the overlap with these muzzleloader/flintlock seasons; they will need an archery license and must abide by the other provisions of the archery seasons.
Well, I was partially correct.....I did say during the flinter season.

·
Registered
13,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Stogey said:
Than only give him half a case of beer.
See you were helpful today...keep up the good work!

·
Registered
18,627 Posts
PADingo said:
Does the following apply? Crossbows are legal during late season archery, but NOT during Flintlock? The dates are the same
Basically a crossbow could be used in lieu of a flintlock during the late muzzleloader season with a muzzleloader stamp.

That is no longer the case. To hunt with a crossbow after Christmas, you either have to be hunting the late firearms in the SRA or the late archery season statewide with a archery license. The rules for each apply.

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
I hope they are legal then, I hope to use mine after Christmas for my doe.

·
Registered
18,627 Posts
RB-HPA said:
I hope they are legal then, I hope to use mine after Christmas for my doe.
You are good to go.

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
you just need an archery lic to hunt the same time flintlocks can, just as you need a M/L lic to hunt then too........bob

1 - 10 of 10 Posts