The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live about 12 miles from a nearest village and about 2 miles from the nearest neighbor. NOBODY shows up here after daylight other than family once or twice a year, or a girlfriend who stops on Monday mornings for a weekly 3 hour visit. I have plenty of motion lights, locks and gates. I'm never more than a few feet from a loaded gun anywhere in my house because there's no help of any kind coming anytime soon. You learn to watch your own butt.

Was watching TV late last night and heard a loud knocking at the front door. In 10 years there's never been any trouble here but that knock was alarming. I have a plan for events like this and shut out all the interior lights and looked out the peep holes, my semi auto Ruger in my hand and 2 fair-sized dogs at my side, barking loud and intimidating.

None of the lights had switched on outside. I shouted a warning through the door and demanded to know who was there. Nothing.

I manually turned on all the lights and let the dogs out to sniff around, but nothing was amiss. Can't explain it at all but there was definitely loud pounding on the front door. The snow's all tracked up from the dogs and I, so there were no clear tracks to identify.

Yeah, I might be a little paranoid living out so far. But having the weapon and a security plan sure felt good, intruder or just a false alarm.

·
Registered
5,148 Posts
Is it a wooden door? If so, did You check for any woodpecker marks on it?

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Pa Big foot. You know they love knocking on stuff.

Could have been a mountain lion looking for a hiding place from the Pa posse?

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Rusty, woodpeckers do not peck at night. Obviously it was spooks!

Reactions: NorthernPotterCo

·
Registered
18,367 Posts
Poltergeist

·
Registered
176 Posts
No tracks...........winged Chupacabra.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Knock on my door late at night?
Invite them in for some of my ol lady's cooking........or if I really want to be extreme in my torturing them to death..........have them get into a conversation with her............

Proly get the chair if I did that.

Reactions: stackbarrel

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Maybe it was a branch hitting the roof...did the dogs hear it too...or react to your alarm?

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Ghost of Christmas past? Or maybe the Angel of Death had the wrong address?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Turns out, it wasn't Sasquatch..............

Was talking to a neighbor down the road yesterday. Told him what had happened and he showed me pics from his trail cam set near his backyard turkey feeder. There were images he'd found of someone prowling his property, dated that same night, timed about an hour later. We recognized the person as a local crack-head with a reputation for stealing peoples' stuff, presumably to feed his rock jones.

That next day, my neighbor had driven over the offender's family's house to discuss matters.
This neighbor I refer to is a West Virginia born boy; he's a Gulf War vet, about 6 foot 4 and would probably dress out at about 240 pounds. He's also a guard at the federal prison a couple counties over and I doubt he'd be easy to ignore if he came knocking, P'ed off.

The crack-head supposedly got the message. "Bob" said he seemed to. Still, we're both ready if he returns.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Checking to see if anyone is home and if not, I'm sure you would have come home to a ransacked home. Concerning thing to me is though, you say you have a bunch of motion lights, etc. and if none went on, he has probably been there before checking on things and knew how to sidestep them.
I'd add some more or move some that you have slightly and maybe add a trailcam or too to watch over the place.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts