The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
28,493 Posts
Welcome back Warren co deer camper via San Diego....
, link is down your site is getting updated right now,just FYI.

·
Registered
7,682 Posts
Cool story....reminded me of the yearly trips back to PA for the rifle opener when I was in CA while serving in the USAF.

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
Use of a light to locate game would be one.

Second - and maybe the same thing - the light could be construed to be spotlighting during a period it is legal.

The guy wrote in his story that he used the light to find the deer at 4 AM. So he did indeed use a light to locate game. That is not in question as he clearly states that is exactly what he did.

·
Registered
11,438 Posts
The OP also clearly stated in his story that he contacted the PGC and two WCO's came out and inspected the buck. No way to know if he told them every detail but it seems he certainly published every detail, so I'd have to conclude his explanation of things satisfied the WCO's.

The buck was obviously hurting and it's good that the OP was able to take him. Congrats.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I thought about the law on spotlighting, too, but when I went to the spot where the buck had been previously, he wasn't there. I checked the ground for tracks, and there were many. I had my flashlight out to see if he was nearby and then to check for tracks at first. Deer busted out around me as I walked in. An 8-pointer or so went by me no more than 30 yards away. I believe I bounced him out of his bed area. There was snow on the ground and it was fairly light without the light going, but it did help me locate fresh tracks in the snow. Once I saw the one-eyed buck I put the light away and stood behind a tree to let him settle down. I can see the criticism on the light. If I would have been driving by in an ATV or car and spotlighting, that would be different. But I used the small flashlight to find tracks at first, no different than any hunter walking in the woods early in the morning and using a light to make sure he doesn't trip over a log or step into a hole. I didn't feel I was spotlighting in the true sense of the meaning of spotlighting. But I can see where someone would infer that or read that into it. That's not how I hunt, though, and I feel this was a circumstance where I needed to locate him before daylight or as soon as I could. Thanks for all the input on this. I wondered how if many of you would do what I did there, you know, after seeing a buck like that, go into the woods at 4 a.m. and try to locate him first before other hunters. The younger hunters I was with told me they would have done the same thing. But I called it when we saw it. I still believe I have to shoot one that is fully healthy before I can claim I shot a Pa buck. I hope to solve that this year during archery or rifle seasons. Thanks again. I hope to be on this site more to share stories and learn more about the great area of Western Pa.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts