The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gone hunting. See you guys on the flip side.

Good luck be safe.

·
Registered
9,480 Posts
Was out in the rain from 10:00-12:00.Was prepared for the rain and felt confident in my prep.Seen a buck this evening 200 yds off and jumped a group comin out after time.

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Saw four yesterday.

One stood for a long time in the thick at 70 yards before going off the other way.

Bounced two - no chance at a shot.

Last one was to far off and no way to slip in.

Basically about 4" of snow with a crust under it. Soft - but noisy. The saving grace was the rain... sort of.

Started raining at 11 am then off and on till about 2. From then until right after dark - steady rain and hard at times.

Thought better of it and decided to fire and reload the rifle. After all the rain holding the rifle close to my body and all - wet is wet. So I shouldered and squeezed the trigger.

No hesitation - bang. Felt good after the very wet day that I beat it.

Woke up this morning with heavy fog. The snow melted a lot over night. In some places the ground was bare.

The deer melted... hunted all day and saw a grand total of two. After all the still hunting, the sitting, the stealth... I was just plain walking to cover ground and walked right up on a small legal buck and a doe.

60 yards through mostly open woods. They of course saw me, I of course was not near a rest.

Lined up the shot - click.

Twice more same result. After number three they trotted off.

Wiped down fizzen and it went right off.

Beautiful day - light wind and sunshine... and the gun didn't fire. And yesterday...

Worst part is - I have to wait a year to do it again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts