The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took a venison roast, peppered it and put it in a roasting pan. Poured in a package of Lipton onion soup dry mix spread come chopped garlic over the top of the roast and poured in a bottle of Seven Gates Ale. Put it in the oven covered at 250 degrees for two hours then turned it up to 300 for an hour. I basted with the ale and soup mix about every half hour. Took it out of the oven put on cutting board covered with foil for about 15 minutes. Then sliced off the bone real thin. It was good stuff.

·
Registered
8,756 Posts
Guess I won't be burgerin' my roasts anymore...sounds delicious!

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Sounds delicious. Now, not being very skilled at the culinary arts, I have to ask why did you cover with foil after cooking? I gotta try to learn something everyday.

·
Registered
4,887 Posts
He most likely covered to let the meat rest. Allowing meat to rest helps prevent the meat from drying. You are trying to allow the moisture in the meat to cool so you do not loose it as steam.
John sounds great.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
john,i actually started drooling while reading that dinner recepe,please if i send you my address will you cut me a nice hunk off and send it to me?

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Got deer loins wrapped in bacon for tonight. Yup on the porch on the grill despite all the snow

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
DeerArcher hit it on the nose. It makes a big difference if you cover a roast, or chicken or turkey with foil and let it rest for 15 to 20 minutes. It allows all the juices in the meat to move back inside so they don't all run out when you cut it and make the meat dry. Venison has little fat as it is so it needs all the help it can get for moisture.

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
Did almost the same thing last night. I put mine in the crock pot with a packet of goods seasoning Italian dressing and a cheese and garlic packet. Some crushed garlic and a bottle of beer. Cook on low for about 8 hours. I also added some potatoes. Made gravy out of the beer and juices from the meat, it was very tasty.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts