The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night we went out and made 3 sets. First spot nothing.

Second spot, I turned on Field Mouse Distress and a deer poked its head up 250 yds out and was curious as to what was going on. So I watched it for a few minutes and my cousin was scanning back and forth when eyes light up down to our left about 150 yds through some trees at the field edge.

I turned my kill light 250 on and was watching through the scope. For about 10 minutes it sat perched on some rocks watching the field. Finally it starts moving to the right and sits on the breatwork of a pond in the middle of the field.

At this point the animal is between 125 and 150 yds and I could finally ID it as a red fox.

He sat there for a minute maybe then circled the pond away from us.

Just curious how far you guys will shoot at night? Had my kill light 250 not been dying at that point I probably would have been shooting with a good rest. Or is that pushing it?

Ive been going at this myself learning on the fly and reading everyones posts and stories, watching videos etc. So I have alot of questions when it comes to predator hunting.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
if you have a safe backdrop, have 100% ID'd the animal and are comfortable with the shot, by all means take it!
Some of our fields we hunt and harvest from allow 200yds shots

·
Registered
716 Posts
4c_game_chaser said:
if you have a safe backdrop, have 100% ID'd the animal and are comfortable with the shot, by all means take it!
Some of our fields we hunt and harvest from allow 200yds shots
I agree, a few weeks ago I shot a red fox at 214 yards. I had no problem identifying it as red fox so I made the shot using my .17 hornet.

·
Registered
675 Posts
If there sitting still, I'd take a 100yd shot. Is really hard to judge distance at night . That's what I shoot at the range . I don't have any practice beyond that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts