The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

This picture is total garbage but, I was loosing light fast so its the best I could do on this one. Anyways here are some details for those who like them.

Time: January 2013 (last hour of light)

Terrain: Hardwood above an active crick bottom with 135 yards maximum visibility on the deep shot. (four funnel points).

Set up: Sun at back, against a good back drop in the shade with a natural point of aim shooting the magic "V" (rock principal) In otherwords target mumbo jumbo.

Conditions: 35 degrees, sunny with a 9 mph quartering crosswind.

Weapon: Tactical 20 using a Hornady VMax bullet.

Call: Custom Handcall and my voice.

Response: Between the 9 and 10 minute mark, hard charging from the upwind side cutting straight across my barrel at 12 oclock.

Shot distance: 109 lasered yards.

Coyote: Solo female with an average size. Not weighed.

Scent control: None!

Lessoned learned many years ago which helped me bag this coyote:

1. Natural point of aim. Figure out where your most likely shot area is and then make sure that you are not fighting your body twisting and contorting to try to get a shot off at a hardcharger who by the way may not be around long.

2. Patience! To often we get into panic mood and just start taking low percentage shots just to throw lead. This coyote was running from my right to left at a good speed at approximately 25 yards. It didn't like something when it was right smack in front of me. I opted to try to hang up the coyote and by its body language I thought the odds were good for it to check up so I still held fire at a moving target. It checked up at 109 yards and subsequently died. Even when things appear to be coming unglued stay patient. Sometimes good things come to those who wait. At least thats what my mama always said lol.

Kirk McKendree

·
Registered
927 Posts
Nice man thats a hard offhand shot anyway. That coyote looks alot like the ones iv seen in OH and KY. Was this in pa?

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Beaglador,

Sorry I must be slipping. Monster lol.

Also I didn't shoot it off hand. I used shooting sticks. Now if only the wind would calm down. I still haven't found any good calling weather yet in good ol PA today. Sure would be nice to get out tonight.

Kirk McKendree

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks, I know they are not good for me. I limit myself to one per day if even that and my caffine intake is very low. I just wish they didn't taste so good lol.

Kirk McKendree

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Fleroo,

Lol. Probably just alittle out to lunch but, aren't we all. Glad you enjoyed the post.

Kirk McKendree

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Great story and pic Kirk. The color on that coyote is great. Pete

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
Just out of curiosity Kirk...what are your total numbers for this year?

·
Registered
259 Posts
Hey TFC thanks for the update- but do you always go with the original Monster or other varieties?
I only drink those kind of narcotic drinks when on hunting binges or plowing snow for days. But man do they add to the overall experience.
As always thanks for the info your tactics and dedication to the sport are incredible.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Takemrarely,
I have only found it necessary to advertise my total numbers of predators on my first year ever for predator hunting. Which was a big fat zero. I find it educational for others so that they can see that we all start somewhere. I as everyone else should build off of that and try to improve. In my case thats what I did and without tooting my own horn to much I do much better nowadays. I do keep very accurate records and could post every kill from my first year up until two nights ago but, I choose to keep them private. Its not a numbers game to me anymore since I no longer participate in contests. I just focus on hunting, eating jerky and watching shooting stars in between callins.

Beaglador,

I appreciate the kind words and glad you enjoy some of my tactics. There are many ways to find success so I am not ignorant enough to think my way is the only way but, I do share when I have time what works for me. As for Monster many poke fun of me cause I seem to have a can laying around etc and at times have more energy than I should so my friends just laugh and say that I shouldn't even be allowed to drink one of those things. I do like the taste but, never tryed any other flavors etc. My belief is that water is a much more health choice but, every once in a while I can't help but to Monster up and find my inner beast. Time to check the weather. Lets hope for the wind to lay down some. Good luck to you all!

Kirk McKendree

1 - 20 of 20 Posts