The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone going out? I had planned to head out about 830 but I may wait as the stomach bug is going though me.

We finally got some snow to stick here in SW Pa!

Good luck!

·
Administrator
14,929 Posts
I'm heading out in an hour.

Good luck and I hope you conquer that stomach bug.

We have 3 inches on the ground and it has warmed up to 18 degrees.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Just got back to car for some lunch and decide what next. Didn’t have real plan so I waited till legal light and started a walk in this only snow I hunted in so far and found tracks right away at road berm. Felt optimistic and was going to make a big circle. Eventually started following some running tracks and unknowingly got about 75yds from them in there beds but the wind betrayed me and the snorting started in the laurel. Found other tracks and think I kicked out more. Working on a plan for this afternoon if I stay out.

·
Registered
121 Posts
My son any I went out this morning. I saw ten beds in one location and my son found six in another. We didn’t see deer but the signs are there.

We are officially done.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
In SW PA we had a nice fresh coat of soft snow and I managed to sneak up on 8-10 deer in at least three different groups, but things just didn't come together. When I'm by myself, still hunting is probably my favorite thing to do, and I was happy to have deer in range today. I have a bad sinus infection and it was giving me an extreme headache to stay out in the cold, so unfortunately for me this season ends with a swing and a miss. Good luck to anyone who is staying out until dusk!

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Strike two😩Decided to walk up mtn on sunny side around 1:30. Ended up being frozen crust. Figured no chance of seeing anything. As I approached a small laurel patch 3/4 up mtn it exploded with deer. Believe 5 in all come out and one stopped about 75yds took steady aim off stick and no sign of hit after search. Going back in for one last hurrah where I saw sign earlier.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I didn’t make it out like I hoped. That stomach bug whooped my by butt all morning. Finally feeling a bit better. Big disappointment, I was really liking forward to going out in some snow.

I could head to 2B Saturday but I’ll probably just call it a year. I think they are calling for rain anyways.

Count down to October, commence!

·
Super Moderator
28,942 Posts
I was out from sunup until about13:30. Went to an area I want to scout for next year and planned to sneak around most of the day. I did, except the sneaking part was missing due to the 3 or 4 inches of pure ice crust. I couldn't have even snuck up on a dead deer in that stuff!
Around 13:00 I worked my way back to the truck, made a perfect shot on a stump at about 35 yards, then headed home.

A little disappointed that my freezer is still venison free, but I enjoyed every minute of every time out since the beginning of archery!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Got out for the last hour and half behind the house. Couldn’t sit in my ladder or my grapevine stands due to the wind and anticipated approach of the deer. So I took up a stand next to a beech tree about 100 yds from my ladder on a well used gas line crossing. Sure enough at 5:00 here they come from the opposite direction and walked within 10 yds of both my other stands. I just had to laugh, so I ended the season seeing 5 doe and eating tag soup.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Sat till dark surrounded by lots of tracks and droppings and had high hopes with that much sign but nothing showed. Was happy to at least see some deer and match wits with them this season. Had the mountain to myself today. This snow was a big help for me today.probably walked another 4 miles today to see what I did.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Saw alot of deer driving home from work. Made it to a cut corn field around 4. Didn't see a deer until 515. Saw 6 which 3 appeared to be bucks but was getting to dark to confirm. Nothing within range until after shooting time of course. it was behind me and couldn't see what it was. It got downwind and blew out of the field with others following.
Will make it in 2b a couple more times so we'll see how that goes down to wire.

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
Had to pass on my traditional last weekend hunt from my Sullivan County Camp as the Mrs came down with a severe cold, fever etc. Just couldn't leave for camp 3 hrs away with her being so under the weather. Did manage to take a lil walk in my mom's lil woodlot early this morning. Was like walking on potato chips! lol Least I got out. Took Mrs to MD this afternoon & doc prescribed Amox-Clav to clear up a bacterial sinus infection and promethazine for her cough. Kept thinkin bout my hot Sullivan County spot but there again there will be future smokin times ahead!:smile2:

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Just got back home from an 11 hour day!!
Gotta do it— last day. It was beautiful out there, little snow, and cold—finally.
Still hunted solo all day, a bit crunchy underfoot, but Saw about 30 deer!!
Cocked the hammer twice, but couldn’t put it together, spooky deer, and a ---- shifty wind caused me problems.
It was a real nice successful hunt today even if no harvest.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts