The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today is your last chance to apply for a Pa Elk Tag, you can even apply online, so lets support the PGC and their Elk habitat program ....good luck to all who are lucky enough to receive one.....

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
A friend went on line yesterday to enter the elk drawing. He called me and said all that was listed was elk archery for the 3 new listed seasons. I told him there should be an early archery, general and late season. He said nope just archery. Well I went on line to see what he was looking at because I was going to apply for him. Sure enough all that was listed was archery. Wonder what was up with that?

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
I'm a little miffed at this elk drawing thing. I don't care THAT much about it, but I've been applying for a tag or a preference point for 13 years....including this year. I feel a little cheated because all those years there was basically one season for elk....any weapon. Now they split it up. I had plans, if drawn, to bowhunt elk and all of my preference points are only allocated to what is now the regular season. So because 'they' made separate seasons out of one I've now got 12 preference points for a season I don't really want to hunt because an archery season didn't exist in the past.

It's not the end of the world or anything, but it should be an option to transfer your existing points (prior to the multiple separate seasons) to whichever season you so desire. Make that transfer a one time deal if that's what it takes.

·
Super Moderator
13,709 Posts
I'm a little miffed at this elk drawing thing. I don't care THAT much about it, but I've been applying for a tag or a preference point for 13 years....including this year. I feel a little cheated because all those years there was basically one season for elk....any weapon. Now they split it up. I had plans, if drawn, to bowhunt elk and all of my preference points are only allocated to what is now the regular season. So because 'they' made separate seasons out of one I've now got 12 preference points for a season I don't really want to hunt because an archery season didn't exist in the past.

It's not the end of the world or anything, but it should be an option to transfer your existing points (prior to the multiple separate seasons) to whichever season you so desire. Make that transfer a one time deal if that's what it takes.
I'm not sure I am following your thinking.

I suspect anyone drawn for the regular elk season will still be able to use their bow in that season the same always in the past. If that is the you still have just as much chance as ever in the past and before these new additional season. Plus you know have as much a chance as anyone else for getting drawn for one of the new seasons if you applied for them.

Dick Bodenhorn

·
Registered
958 Posts

Pretty sure you can still hunt with a bow in any of the seasons.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Put in for the drawing this year i had 2 or 3 preference points. I dont think I will get drawn that is just my luck but it would be the hunt of a lifetime if drawn. Good luck to all that entered.

·
Registered
6,725 Posts
I'm not sure I am following your thinking.

I suspect anyone drawn for the regular elk season will still be able to use their bow in that season the same always in the past. If that is the you still have just as much chance as ever in the past and before these new additional season. Plus you know have as much a chance as anyone else for getting drawn for one of the new seasons if you applied for them.

Dick Bodenhorn
His accumulated points are only able to be used in a drawing that has 20% fewer tags than last year. How does his odds of drawing stay equal to last years odds? His odds have been lowered! Then consider the total allotment being increased over last year, and those tags missing from the drawing his points are stuck in. He has been royally ripped off!!

How does being able to use a bow any consolation?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Here we go more crying that everything the pgc does is terrible...... it does not matter what kind of post gets put up, it always gets filled by the "they screwed me" or the "they dont know how to manage wildlife" crowd............. you guys aren'g they only people that matter in this state everyone's odds are lowered not just certain individuals...

·
Super Moderator
13,709 Posts
His accumulated points are only able to be used in a drawing that has 20% fewer tags than last year. How does his odds of drawing stay equal to last years odds? His odds have been lowered! Then consider the total allotment being increased over last year, and those tags missing from the drawing his points are stuck in. He has been royally ripped off!!

How does being able to use a bow any consolation?
He didn't lose anything at all. His appropriate number of applications is still in there, the same as everyone else's who have been in there for how ever many of years they have applied. He has the same chance as everyone else.

If he applied for the new seasons he also has the exact same odds as everyone who applied this year and into the future years he applies.

I don't see how anyone lost anything at all if they continued to apply.

Dick Bodenhorn

·
Registered
6,725 Posts
He didn't lose anything at all. His appropriate number of applications is still in there, the same as everyone else's who have been in there for how ever many of years they have applied. He has the same chance as everyone else.

If he applied for the new seasons he also has the exact same odds as everyone who applied this year and into the future years he applies.

I don't see how anyone lost anything at all if they continued to apply.

Dick Bodenhorn
When all these hunters started applying and accumulating bonus points, those points were in the drawing for all the tags allotted. Now those bonus points are only good for a fraction of the tags allotted. It isn't right what the BOC has done. Those points should transfer... if the applicant wants them to.

There was talk prior to this about the disappointment of how those bonus points work. This is how the BOC fixed it...:smile_big:

·
Super Moderator
13,709 Posts
When all these hunters started applying and accumulating bonus points, those points were in the drawing for all the tags allotted. Now those bonus points are only good for a fraction of the tags allotted. It isn't right what the BOC has done. Those points should transfer... if the applicant wants them to.

There was talk prior to this about the disappointment of how those bonus points work. This is how the BOC fixed it...:smile_big:
I 100% disagree that they should be able to transfer their to points from the previous seasons to the new seasons. Everyone has an equal chance on each type of hunt based on the points they have put in for each of those various seasons.

That is about as fair as it can be.

If a person could transfer their points from the old system to one of the new season hunts those that transfer their points would completely tilt the process to the point that there would be no sense in anyone even applying for the new hunts unless they too had a couple decades of points to transfer.

That might be nice for those transferring all of their points but not so much for anyone else.

I think they got it right the way it is.

Dick Bodenhorn

·
Registered
6,725 Posts
I 100% disagree that they should be able to transfer their to points from the previous seasons to the new seasons. Everyone has an equal chance on each type of hunt based on the points they have put in for each of those various seasons.

That is about as fair as it can be.

If a person could transfer their points from the old system to one of the new season hunts those that transfer their points would completely tilt the process to the point that there would be no sense in anyone even applying for the new hunts unless they too had a couple decades of points to transfer.

That might be nice for those transferring all of their points but not so much for anyone else.

I think they got it right the way it is.

Dick Bodenhorn
I disagree 100%. What this comes down to ..and you have admitted it here, is that people didn't want to get into a line that basically forms at the rear. Heaven forbid they create these new seasons and expect what they hope will be new money competing with those who have been loyally dedicated and accumulated points. Many now will forever wonder if a tag taken away from the former allotment pot was the tag they would have finally drawn had the BOC not changed the rules on them. They have been made expendable, something the BOC has been very good at lately.

The PGC built the entire elk tag draw around the ability to accumulate points. What the BOC has done has shown disrespect. They did it out of greed for their own purposes.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I'd like my points to transfer to the archery draw, but I'll deal with it the way it is currently set up. As someone who has seen many western point systems change over the years it didn't shock me when the PGC changed theirs. I really didn't see my chances decrease since I apply for bull only. I can see where someone who applied for either sex would be upset. Good luck to everyone in the draw.

·
Super Moderator
13,709 Posts
I disagree 100%. What this comes down to ..and you have admitted it here, is that people didn't want to get into a line that basically forms at the rear. Heaven forbid they create these new seasons and expect what they hope will be new money competing with those who have been loyally dedicated and accumulated points. Many now will forever wonder if a tag taken away from the former allotment pot was the tag they would have finally drawn had the BOC not changed the rules on them. They have been made expendable, something the BOC has been very good at lately.

The PGC built the entire elk tag draw around the ability to accumulate points. What the BOC has done has shown disrespect. They did it out of greed for their own purposes.
That is pure nonsense. Well at least all of it but that some hunters don't want to start at the end of the line and would instead like to be able to jump to the front of the line. To me that isn't a fair way of doing things. I realize we live in an entitlement minded society today, but that still doesn't make it the right way to move forward.

For all of the years of the elk season there has ONLY been one season and most applicants didn't get drawn. But, hunters who didn't get drawn still had all of their applications from years past in the pot for the future drawings. If they were lucky enough to be drawn they had one season to hunt, with all of the other successful applicants, with the legal weapon of their choice.

That season, along with all of those same options, still exist completely unchanged today.

The only thing that really changed was there were two new seasons incorporated. Everyone who wants to can now apply for each of the three seasons available. But, with those two new seasons also starting a new application and point system for those seasons. Completely fair to everyone who applies.

The only other thing that changed is there was a reduction in the permits for the longtime general elk season. That isn't the first time the number of elk permits has been changed over the years of the hunt and I am confident it will not be the last time there are changes to the number of hunts offered in the seasons in the future.

The FACT remains that everyone's chances are the same as they have ALWAYS been and based on the number of years they have been applying.

I guess, in the eye of some people, the Game Commission blew it again by offering hunters more seasons and hunting options? I guess some hunters just can't stand having an agency that gives them more options for their future hunting opportunities.

Dick Bodenhorn

·
Registered
6,725 Posts
That is pure nonsense. Well at least all of it but that some hunters don't want to start at the end of the line and would instead like to be able to jump to the front of the line. To me that isn't a fair way of doing things. I realize we live in an entitlement minded society today, but that still doesn't make it the right way to move forward.

For all of the years of the elk season there has ONLY been one season and most applicants didn't get drawn. But, hunters who didn't get drawn still had all of their applications from years past in the pot for the future drawings. If they were lucky enough to be drawn they had one season to hunt, with all of the other successful applicants, with the legal weapon of their choice.

That season, along with all of those same options, still exist completely unchanged today.

The only thing that really changed was there were two new seasons incorporated. Everyone who wants to can now apply for each of the three seasons available. But, with those two new seasons also starting a new application and point system for those seasons. Completely fair to everyone who applies.

The only other thing that changed is there was a reduction in the permits for the longtime general elk season. That isn't the first time the number of elk permits has been changed over the years of the hunt and I am confident it will not be the last time there are changes to the number of hunts offered in the seasons in the future.

The FACT remains that everyone's chances are the same as they have ALWAYS been and based on the number of years they have been applying.

I guess, in the eye of some people, the Game Commission blew it again by offering hunters more seasons and hunting options? I guess some hunters just can't stand having an agency that gives them more options for their future hunting opportunities.

Dick Bodenhorn
I have said nothing against the creating of new hunting opportunities!! It's the disrespect that the loyal purchasers have received. As someone wished earlier, a one time opportunity should have been granted to move the points accumulated and be "spent" in the other tag draws. A hunter should have been able to split the points up between the 3 drawings, keep them all in one, or move whatever percentage to any drawing their core interests may lie.

·
Super Moderator
13,709 Posts
Oh, so in your opinion if people are in line to get hotdogs when the ice cream truck comes by they should be able to jump out of the hotdog line and go to the front of the ice cream line for the next fifteen years.

That doesn't sound very far to the other people in the ice cream line. Which is pretty much exactly as it would be.

Everyone who applied is equally at the front of the archery and late cow season lines right now. Why should someone be able to jump to the front of that line for the next fifteen years or so?

Doesn't sound right to me.

How about new hunters, shouldn't they have a chance at those drawings instead of being fifteen years behind right off the bat? This is a chance for new elk hunters to finally get an equal and fair shot at getting drawn for some type of elk hunting opportunity.

Dick Bodenhorn

1 - 20 of 31 Posts