The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
4:05 had a 6 Pointer come in to 2 yards and walk to my wick and turned quartering away and I stuck him at about 20 yards. No blood at impact. Found the remaining arrow, no blood just Hair, some white and a small pc of brown. With the missing arrow and broad head I'd sat 3 1/2 - 4 inches. Any ideas??? This is my first archery deer and first since 2007. Thanks

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
DO you know where you hit him? I shot one in the shoulder one time and found the arrow all but 3-4" I knew it was a good hit. I didn't find blood for the first 50 yds and when I did find blood it was only a drop here and a drop there. I had to follow flipped over rocks and hoof prints and even ruffed up leaves for about 150 yds and there he laid dead. Don't give up on him and take your time so you don't overlook anything. Good Luck buddy I hope you find him.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Well, most white hair is down low on a deer's body, besides the rump. Belly, chest area, legs. How long is the brown hair? If it pretty short, say 1/2", that would be leg hair. Most brown body hair is longer. Might be an upper leg hit.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the hair was short, but it wasn't much hair at all, like 3 strands. don't believe it was a low shot though.

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
Broadhead and a few.inches of shaft missing?? Might have stuck him in the back bone above the spine...3 strands of hair dont tell much imo...hair wise, i.wana see a cut off clump..

Best thing to do..wait till morning and get to trackin....if the rain.is hitting, id go an hour before it hits (assuming it wasnt/isnt raining where you are) and take it superrrrr slow and see what the trail tells you...mark the trail well to get a direction of travel..if you find a bed back out..

Good luck

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input so far guys. I don't believe it was a high shot either. It was in the kill zone, with everything I'm guessing it was just forward too much. I looked for 2 hrs. I hope I didn't push him but the rain will prob wash anything away but my only luck is to find him layed over. They want it to get to 45 degrees here tonight. Depending when he passes which I hope he does. Will the meat be ok?

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Sounds like shoulder to me, but if the arrow broke off it can still do more internal damage as the deer walks, particularly if its in the opposite shoulder. Blood trails and lack there of can be decieving, I'd bk out, try again tomorrow am, grab as many friends as you can and take it slow. Best of luck!

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well just looked for 2 more hours. No clue. Hoping it was all bone that I hit and he's still walking around

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Like I said Jesber, a couple of years ago I hit one in the front shoulder and my arrow broke off in him. When I found the arrow there was only about 4" and the broadhead missing. There was hardly any blood at all so I followed a trail and then saw ruffed up leaves and followed them. You have to look very close and mine went 150-200 yds. I found him dead and his chest was full of blood. I never did find the broadhead. But while he was running it tore him up inside. I would bet he is laying out there dead and you just haven't found him yet. Go slow and check every possible trail in the area. Good Luck bud!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Shoulder shot one yesterday.....also a 6 point. Tracked for quarter mile before finding 1 drop of blood. Never found my arrow. Tracked to a neighboring property where the property owner booted me from the property and i was not allowed to continue tracking. What a waste. I think im done archery hunting. I know it was my fault for the bad shot but the new rule is if property owner dont give permission even the game warden cannot go on property to retrieve.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If he is dead how far do u guys think I need to look. I looked this morning I'd say at least almost a half a mile in the last direction I saw him.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Shoulder shots are almost always non fatal. There are exceptional cases like the one above but they are VERY few and far between.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts