The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Last day of vacation 8 point buck

4K views 21 replies 21 participants last post by  dpms 
#1 ·
Well today was the last day of my vacation from work. This was the first year that I have ever used vacation during archery season. It had been a real slow week without very much rutting activity and very few buck sightings. Truthfully I didn't have much hope for today either since it was supposed to get pretty warm today. I had pretty well resigned myself to not getting a buck in archery season.

So anyway I was sitting in the stand this morning listening to all the turkeys talking around me and the sun was just peeking over the hill when I caught movement to my left. A buck was cruising through. I will admit that I was caught off guard, and had to quickly move to get the crossbow and get in position. I quickly ranged where I thought he would cross a small gasline. It was 40 yards away. When he got in the opening I stopped him. I quickly let the arrow fly, and I could see lumenok disappeared right into the sweet spot. He whirled and ran back the way he came. He only went about 50 yards and stopped. After a couple of seconds he reared up and went sideways over a log. This is how he ended up.

After hunting hard all season and especially the last week, I was quite happy to take him. He is not the largest one that I have gotten, but I am sure proud of him after all the work (if you want to call it that. LOL) that I had put into the season. I got him with an Excalibur Vortex, Victory Arrows, and ABC Bolt Sonics.

See less See more
#10 ·
CONGRATS CRAIG!!!! that is a great buck...I have used all but one day during archery..saw 8 bucks today (3 shooters, no shots)...got Saturday and monday.
then it is down to being the lucky guy in rifle season.

#13 ·
RB-HPA said:
CONGRATS CRAIG!!!! that is a great buck...I have used all but one day during archery..saw 8 bucks today (3 shooters, no shots)...got Saturday and monday.
then it is down to being the lucky guy in rifle season.
Don't give up. What is that line in your sig? "Only takes a second to change your season"?
I will admit that even though I was still out there battling, I was hearing the slightly obese woman warming up the vocal chords. It had seemed that all the deer around here had disappeared in the last week and there was barely any rutting action. I was probably lucky to see 8 buck all week of pretty much hunting sun up to sun down. Funny how fast things can change. From time I first saw this buck until he laid dead on top of the log was lucky to be 20 seconds in length. My dad always has said that deer hunting is hours of boredom followed by a minute of pure excitement and joy, followed by alot of work.

Good Luck tomorrow and Monday. Hope to see some bucks and bears hit the ground on your Veterans day hunt.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.