The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I don't get to get on here too much between school and hunting. But finally had a little down time.

Last day of the RP season my buddy and I met up with Redlab fairly early. As we walked out we kicked a lot of birds up, got us a little nervous as to whether or not they would come back. But they did.. It was a great morning with some great friends. Always a pleasure hunting with Redlab and his dogs. We ended around noon. Had we shot better and maybe I would have made my soils class

Ruby doing what she does best!

The End results

Redlab got the band, I believe he said banded in 2007, in Ontario Canada. Thanks again Barry.

The start of my roommates and my spring break we decided to scout around home (Middle Creek) and see what the snow goose situation was like. It was okay, but with all the leases, ground pounders, and what not we weren't able to secure a great spot... So we picked up and headed to the coast. It was an awesome morning, working 1k birds into a spread feet down is a neat feeling. We whiffed on calling some of the shots but we ended with a good bit, and all in all just an fun experience.

Truck loaded down with as many silo socks as we had (and added 5 dozen to it on the way):

Lyla wondering where all the birds are

End results

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
That is awesome great job on the snows.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
RIGG-A-MORTIS said:
Awesome hunts guys! It's great to see a honker band that isn't a " local bird" congrats on that. Wear that one proud.
Agreed but.. it is the RP zone. What does RP zone stand for again..?

Again, congrats awesome hunts guys definitely not trying to hijack or stir the pot!

·
Registered
4,716 Posts
I wasn't going to mention anything about the AP birds getting killed out there the last few weeks. We all know it's happening...but no one seems to care. That season runs way too long..

Before you jump, me, i'm not jelous, I wouldn't mind if you killed them until Aril, if you weren't shooting up the migrators. Follow the migration, they come down the eastern part of the state, and go back north on a more western path.

This isn't about the hunters, it's about the season length running too long into the northern migration. Not the hunters fault. Been going on for years, and worse in some other states, Md., NY, NJ, all kill too many in the late winter "RP". IMO.

·
Registered
430 Posts
never fails, one person in the RP kills a band from canada and all the AP folks get their panties in a bunch. Well three bands that have been killed in the RP over the last three years in Nov/Dec were all from Quebec. we do get a few migrators, but very few of the total AP kill is done on the border of the RP/AP. Unless anyone has any numbers to back up that the RP season is way to long, i dont want to hear it....AGAIN

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
DrakesOnly said:
RIGG-A-MORTIS said:
Awesome hunts guys! It's great to see a honker band that isn't a " local bird" congrats on that. Wear that one proud.
Agreed but.. it is the RP zone. What does RP zone stand for again..?

Again, congrats awesome hunts guys definitely not trying to hijack or stir the pot!
Excuse me. Does that sound like my "panties" are in a bunch? I was responding to a post by another member, whose name did not happen to be "Longneckin."

I replied respectfully, and made sure to reference the good job and good hunt that these fellas had. If it's legal, I'm glad they're out there and being successful.

Sounds like your pretty defensive of your "RP Zone" resource there Oscar the grouch. By the way, most waterfowl hunters don't need a band to tell them that the birds aren't local. Keep that in mind too.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
I think the PGC who sets the seasons might be able to justify the season length? I don't believe that the low amount of pressure the RP zone sees hurts or even makes a dent in the population. I kill far more residents than SJB birds, but I do kill some of them. Going back as far as I can recall, all late season bands that my friens have shot have been locals, linesville or Ohio birds. One or two might have been real migrators, but i can't recall any for certain. Just my personal experience and opinion.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Nice hunt guys and congrats on the band. It may also be a molt migrator unless it was banded when too young to fly.

There are times the RP is loaded with migrators. The percentage of RP birds banded is more than AP. Getting an AP band is like finding a needele in a haystack but if RP birds were banded in the area your chances are very good at getting one at some point during the season. You could shoot all migrators and get one banded local and assume all birds were local and vise versa. RP birds do move around some so its not always easy to tell migrators just because more geese are in the area than normal. I have shot some big migrators that I would have called a resident if it wasnt banded. The feds do account for a percentage of migrators being harvested in the RP but dont think they really know how many. Sorry to hijack the thread. I do find the information interesting. Actually if you want to get technical, most of the birds in our flyway are considered residents by biologists - thats why we have a 3 bird AP limit. It's all clear as mud.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Agreed... you wont shoot as many bands in the AP... our band ratio out there is about one out of every 200 birds where as rp band ratio to me seems much higher

·
Registered
4,716 Posts
You will hear it AGAIN, it's MY opinion, that's all. That's what I believe!!! So too bad if you don't like what I have to say, but here are the facts, there is NO way of acuratlly tracking the data, with the exception of bands, and it is as kadd put it, clear as mud.

One fact I can tell you is during February, there are a decent amount of birds in the RP zone. Fact 2 is the season is OPEN during Feburary, so AP birds are being harvested. What none of us know is how many, but AP birds ARE being killed. Fact 3 would be IF the RP zone was NOT OPEN in Feb., NO AP BIRDS WOULD GET SHOT. That's my point, if you don't like it, too bad.

You can think what you want, but just because we have decent goose numbers right now, it can change, and in a hurry. Just ask anyone who was a goos hunter in the 90's.

Congrats to REDLAB, sorry to hijack, but as I stated, my beef wasn't with the RP hunters, it is more wishing we had a real way to actually know what was going on during that season, because sometimes, by the time you figure out there is a problem, it's too late.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just because this bird is from Canada does not mean that the bird is not a "resident" bird. Canada geese are considered "resident" when they breed below the 45th parralel. AP geese are those that breed above the 45th parallel. Birds that breeds in and around the cities of Canada or NY or VT are no differant than the geese that breed in our cities and towns here. Historically, there were no Cnada geese breeding in these areas.

When conditions warrant these birds will leave their home turf and fly to greener pastures. These birds cause the same problems in the cities, parks, and urban environments where they breed as they do here. Hence, the larger bag limits and extended seasons.

·
Registered
4,716 Posts
I stand corrected. There are no AP birds being killed in the RP zone in February. If you guys want to believe that, that's up to you, keep telling yourselves that.

Since this topic has been brought up in years past, ever notice how few piles and band reports are put up on this forum in Feb.? I know guys are killing birds in the RP, and bands, but they really don't post about it too much this time of year. I think the guy who posted the band report, probably already recieved a few PM's telling him not to post that stuff, just for this reason.

I am actually hoping i'm wrong with my opinion of how many AP birds are actually shot in the RP zone. But no one can actually get a acurate number, either way. I have actually also been told by the people "in the know" in PA, that there are not more than 10% being killed, but I still find it hard to believe when I see pics like I have in the past. Stubby beaks don't lie...unless you ask it where it breeds.

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
dmccoy1 said:
I stand corrected. There are no AP birds being killed in the RP zone in February. If you guys want to believe that, that's up to you, keep telling yourselves that.

Since this topic has been brought up in years past, ever notice how few piles and band reports are put up on this forum in Feb.? I know guys are killing birds in the RP, and bands, but they really don't post about it too much this time of year. I think the guy who posted the band report, probably already recieved a few PM's telling him not to post that stuff, just for this reason.

I am actually hoping i'm wrong with my opinion of how many AP birds are actually shot in the RP zone. But no one can actually get a acurate number, either way. I have actually also been told by the people "in the know" in PA, that there are not more than 10% being killed, but I still find it hard to believe when I see pics like I have in the past. Stubby beaks don't lie...unless you ask it where it breeds.
Im going to chime in just for ships and giggles. I agree that since there is no accurate way to track weather AP birds or RP birds are being shot in February, both the AP and RP should run concurrently during the late season. The RP "killing field" should be opened up either earlier, ie. late august, or extended past the end of September. In my arm chair biologist opinion that would eliminate 90% of the chances of killing and AP/Migrant bird.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts