The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,499 Posts
I was in high school in the state of Indiana. They let class out to watch game seven in the gym on a small TV. We had no TV at home, but listened to the games when possible on the radio.

I made it to the second or third row and was excited to watch as my father has predicting a win for the Pirates. Although I had no connections with Pittsburgh nor PA at that time I believe I was the only students and teachers who was rooting for the Pirates.

MY best day in high school and one I will never forget.

·
Registered
39,294 Posts
Mazeroski’s homer might be the greatest moment in Baseball history. :thumbs:

Born2Hunt, how on earth could the people of Indiana be rooting for the Yankees? Is it something in the water? >:)

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
I was in 3rd grade and a huge baseball fan. I never ran so fast to get home and watch the end of the game. I got to see Mazeroski’s homer. I was jumping all over the living room. My mom thought I was having a fit lol.

·
Super Moderator
12,499 Posts
Thanks for sharing. That is the first time I saw the game since 1960.....However, it did look like there were 10 more fans at Forbes Field than the first time......Great game......Great memory.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
I wasn’t born yet.

The Yankees outscored the Pirates 55-27 in the series. They batted .338 as a TEAM.

And lost.

Yankees won the blowouts, Pirates won the close games.

Mazeroski hit the first walk off series winning HR in history. There is only one other series winning HR, hit by Joe Carter against the Phillies. So both walk off series winning HRs involved PA teams.

·
Registered
4,881 Posts
Local station had it on the day the season was to start. Tonight I think game 5 from 1990 playoffs.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Last night, the local Pittsburgh sports station showed the complete game 7. The good old days, classic baseball at its finest, the number of great players on both the Pirates and Yankees. Watching the after game interviews with Bob Prince was cool. They also had interviews from 2010 with many of the Pirates who played on the team. Clemente has always been my favorite player. Maz said after the win, he left Forbes Field and went to Schenley Park and set in his car to get away from all the excitement. The local sportstalk show was discussing it last night and they said there was no official taping or filming of the World Series back then by Major League Baseball and it is believed the film from game 7 was from Bing Crosby's private collection.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Last night, the local Pittsburgh sports station showed the complete game 7. The good old days, classic baseball at its finest, the number of great players on both the Pirates and Yankees. Watching the after game interviews with Bob Prince was cool. They also had interviews from 2010 with many of the Pirates who played on the team. Clemente has always been my favorite player. Maz said after the win, he left Forbes Field and went to Schenley Park and sat in his car to get away from all the excitement. The local sportstalk show was discussing it last night and they said there was no official taping or filming of the World Series back then by Major League Baseball and it is believed the film from game 7 was from Bing Crosby's private collection.
I have an old album from the Pirates 1971 World Series year that has a lot of Bob Prince classics. My favorite: “Score tied 3-3 in the bottom of the 17th. Comes into the wind up. Swung on, driven deep to right field, YOU CAN KISS IT GOODBYE! Aw he cremated that baby, he cremated it out of sight. And the Buccos.......we had ‘em aaaaaaaalll the way.”

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
In high school I kept the scorebook for the varsity basketball team. Maz's grandson played for a high school we played. While the JV game was going on we scorebook guys exchanged the rosters and lineups for the book and I saw "Mazeroski". I asked the other scorekeeper is that related to "Thee" Maz? He says yep, he's sitting up there in the top row.

I went up and politely said hello, I'm 17 and talking to Bill Mazeroski!!!!! He was very engaging and friendly, we talked for just a few brief moments and he signed the page of my scorebook in the margin above his grandson's team's page. Very cool.

·
Super Moderator
4,880 Posts
My Dad attended the away games in the 1960 series. My aunt, his sister in law, was an executive with Bristol Meyers in NYC and had connections to get him tickets. As a kid, we would go to 8-10 Pirate games a year, always sat in the left field bleachers. Dad was a big sports fan, going to the first 3 Steeler Super Bowl games, and a couple PSU bowl games. His love of sports didn’t transfer to me....I can still watch a baseball game, but never watch any other sports.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Tonight at 7PM, ATTSports Pittsburgh will air game 7 of the 1979 World Series. I remember working afternoon shift in the mill the week of the World Series that year, there was only a couple tv's in the entire factory and both were locked up in conference or manager's rooms. We had a fellow worker pick a lock to the conference room and we went in and watched the games. The plant manager heard about it and he was a big supporter of local baseball, so he gave us a minor talking to, the whole time basically smiling and saying he would of probably did something similar. The good old days.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
OK you guys have won one every 30 or 40 years for a total of 5 WS titles. Yanks have 27. Wanna bet they get 28 before Pittsburgh gets 6? I watched that game, Mickey Mantle reportedly cried after that game, probably from knowing they, NY, was so much better a team than the Pirates. But only the final score matters. When teams like Pittsburgh win a WS they jump for joy. When the Yankees win, or lose a WS, they're already thinking about next year. "I want to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee, fan!"

·
Super Moderator
4,880 Posts
Tonight at 7PM, ATTSports Pittsburgh will air game 7 of the 1979 World Series. I remember working afternoon shift in the mill the week of the World Series that year, there was only a couple tv's in the entire factory and both were locked up in conference or manager's rooms. We had a fellow worker pick a lock to the conference room and we went in and watched the games. The plant manager heard about it and he was a big supporter of local baseball, so he gave us a minor talking to, the whole time basically smiling and saying he would of probably did something similar. The good old days.

I remember that game well. I was working in the mine, at that time I was a motorman ( guy that pulled loaded coal cars out of the mine ). Another motorman figured out that if you took an old AM transistor radio, run a wire from from the antennae from the radio to the copper DC trolley line , and put the radio on a piece of insulating rubber belting on top of the locomotive.....you could pick up the game on KDKA radio. While I was waiting for a loaded trip, I listened to bits and pieces of the game from a sidetrack inside the mine.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts