The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been wanting to lapp the barrels on a couple of my rifles. I've looked into Tubb's Final Finish. It seems good for the center fire rifles but does not offer anything to lap a 22 mag rifle. Has anyone lapped a 22mag barrel and/or does anyone know where i could find a product to do so?

·
Registered
10,309 Posts
youngbuck3006 said:
Has anyone lapped a 22mag barrel and/or does anyone know where i could find a product to do so?
Why do you want to lapp the barrel?

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Swift said:
Why do you want to lapp the barrel?
+1...not picking...thinking maybe I'll learn something. The Marlin MicroGroove barrels are some of the most consistent good shooting barrels onthe market for rimfire, but not knowing what you have i'm not sure lapping would help you. I know i'd never touch the barrel of my Marlin with any kind of lapping procedure.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My marlin does shoot pretty good. I was just hoping that i could gain just a little more accuracy. at 50 yrds the bullets are touching i just thought maybe if i lapped the barrel i could get it just a little better. I'm probably getting fussy and should not touch it. But any commits or ideas are more than welcome. Thank you

p.s. It is a marlin 925M and i shoot CCI 40 grain jhp

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Why lap???? Don't fix it unless it is broken!!!

When I have a barrel that is fouling with copper or lead easily, or when I can feel a spot that is rough in the bore with a cleaning patch I do lap. But not with Tubbs. I use Flitz polish which is a hand lap compound that is 3 times finer than Tubbs grit. A little lapping goes a long way with me. Remember---lapping is removing metal...got to have a good reason to do so, IMO.

To answer your question: Tubbs makes a 22 lapping 'system'. http://www.davidtubb.com/ff_22.html

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
youngbuck, use a different ammo. you will get much better results changing ammo than yyou will by messing with something that don't need messed with. There's alot of science in accuracy, and understanding the dynamics of barrel vibration and how different powder charges and bullet weights affect this is part of the fun of rimfire shooting.

For the longest time, I thought i had things NAILED with Remington Premier 33gr vmax bullets and was shooting half inch to 3/4 inch groups at 50 yards. Last year, just before fall turkey I could not find any of my beloved ammo so i bought a box of Hornady 30gr vmax and took it to the range.

at 50 yards, 5 shots:

at 100 yards:

yup, 3 in one hole, the one on the right is a called flier, and I think the shot at 12 o'clock is an inconsistent powder charge. I do not weigh my 22mag ammo, but think if i would i might even see MORE accuracy from it. Nevertheless, I was able to snipe a few squirrels last year and even shot a fantastic 50 yard 5 position target (standing, kneeling, sitting, prone, prone supported) this spring. scored quite well with the hornady ammo. i just wish i could find some more of this stuff...

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the input from everyone. i might try out some new ammo to see what i can get as far as accuracy. Like i said before at 50yds they are touching but i want the same hole. At least this way i will have fun shooting a bunch of ammo.

Harry, The Tubb's final finish system for the 22 rimfire is only available for the 22 lr. I called the other day asking for something for the 22 mag but as of yet they do not make one for the 22 mag.

thanks for the replies

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
My Marlin .22 mag cuts bullet holes right out of the box. I sure love that gun. I carry it a lot with the squirrel dogs. Lots of folks think it is too much gun for a squirrel but it is so accurate that you can almost always make a headshot. One of the reasons I choose to carry it is that it should have enough wallap to shoot a yote out to 100 yards without having to aim high. I believe I sighted it in for 50 yards which puts it within 1/2" under 50 yards and only a few inches low at 100 yards. Lots of hype on the .17 but the mag is still a better gun. A .17 is dead accurate but it don't have the knockdown for a yote. Had a fellow who is in a sort of competition with other guys give me the lowdown. Says he isn't allowed to count a groundhog as a kill if he can't touch it. He has a .17 and a mag. Said the .17 will kill them out there pretty good but they will get to the hole a lot before they die, so he can't count them as a kill. With a mag they don't get to the hole. If it won't drop a hog, I don't think it will be to dependable on a yote.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
youngbuck3006 said:
Thanks for the input from everyone. i might try out some new ammo to see what i can get as far as accuracy. Like i said before at 50yds they are touching but i want the same hole. At least this way i will have fun shooting a bunch of ammo.

Harry, The Tubb's final finish system for the 22 rimfire is only available for the 22 lr. I called the other day asking for something for the 22 mag but as of yet they do not make one for the 22 mag.

thanks for the replies
Wow, no offense but your asking for the impossible

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
i don't think it's IMPOSSIBLE, but the OP would have much better success with finding the ammo his gun likes and then working on tightening down the nut behind the butt. Takes alot of skill to stack'em. I've been shooting a LONG time and even with groups like those above I feel I have a LONG way to go.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts