The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been more than a few posts this year and before about language in the digest that folks have found wanting for one reason or another.

True - the digest is the very basic law and reg's. But, what subject and language have you had issues with this year or before?

Post them up. If yo have a digest list the page number so the rest of us can do the look see.

·
Registered
25,117 Posts
pg 15 Digest <span style="font-style: italic">
An unlicensed person may accompany a properly licensed hunter or trapper provided the unlicensed person acts only as observer and does not, in any
manner, participate in hunting or trapping. Any person accompanying a licensed hunter must wear the required amount of fluorescent orange. An unlicensed
person who has never held a hunting license in Pennsylvania or any other state may accompany a properly licensed hunter or trapper and
participate in these activities providing the following requirements are met: The person remains in sight and close to a hunter at least 18 years of age;
the unlicensed person does not possess a firearm, bow or other hunting device; the person complies with fluorescent orange requirements; and the person
is listed, if mandated, on a hunting roster as a member of the hunting party. The ratio of licensed hunters to non-licensed persons must not exceed 1:1.

</span>

How many unlicensed persons can a licensed hunter have along to observe?

·
Registered
25,117 Posts
page 15

<span style="font-style: italic">
Youth Squirrel Season Oct. 6-12
(12-16 years old without a license; and Junior License holders, who must have successfully completed an HTE course)
Junior Pheasant Season and Junior Cottontail Rabbit Season Oct. 6-13
(12-16 years old without a license; and Junior License holders, who must have successfully completed an HTE course)
Deer Oct. 18-20
(Antlerless Only; Junior License holders with required antlerless license; statewide)
Youth Turkey Hunt April 20, 2013
(Spring Gobbler; Junior License holders with required license; statewide)
Youth Waterfowl Hunt Days (* Junior License Holders 12-15). The PGC Executive Director will designate one shooting day at Middle Creek
and Pymatuning as a youth-only day, in addition to the statewide youth waterfowl hunting day held in late September each year. </span>

Do unlicensed youth hunting squirrels have to attend HTE?
Same question for Rabbit and Pheasant

How does an unlicensed youth get to carry a gun and participate in a hunt? ***

**** from Title 34

<span style="font-style: italic">Sec. 2701. License requirements. (a) General rule.--Except in defense of person or property or pursuant to exemptions authorized in this title, <span style="font-weight: bold">or by regulation of the commission for implementing a mentored youth hunting program, </span>every person, prior to engaging in any of the privileges granted by this title, shall first obtain the applicable license subject to any conditions or other requirements imposed by this title. </span>

The section refers to mentored youth regulations however Squirrel rabbit and pheasant are youth hunter seasons, Not mentored hunters,

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
**** from Title 34

Sec. 2701. License requirements. (a) General rule.--Except in defense of person or property or pursuant to exemptions authorized in this title, or by regulation of the commission for implementing a mentored youth hunting program, every person, prior to engaging in any of the privileges granted by this title, shall first obtain the applicable license subject to any conditions or other requirements imposed by this title.

The section refers to mentored youth regulations however Squirrel rabbit and pheasant are youth hunter seasons, Not mentored hunters,

The way this was explained to me was if a mentored youth is allowed to hunt a species of animal and the animal has a youth season attached to it, the mentored youth is allowed to hunt during that youth season.....

ie Spring gobbler youth season. Mentored youth are allowed to hunt spring gobbler. Thus they are allowed to hunt in the youth spring gobbler season.

·
Registered
25,117 Posts
Kevinupp said:
**** from Title 34

Sec. 2701. License requirements. (a) General rule.--Except in defense of person or property or pursuant to exemptions authorized in this title, or by regulation of the commission for implementing a mentored youth hunting program, every person, prior to engaging in any of the privileges granted by this title, shall first obtain the applicable license subject to any conditions or other requirements imposed by this title.

The way this was explained to me was if a mentored youth is allowed to hunt a species of animal and the animal has a youth season attached to it, the mentored youth is allowed to hunt during that youth season.....

ie Spring gobbler youth season. Mentored youth are allowed to hunt spring gobbler. Thus they are allowed to hunt in the youth spring gobbler season.
from the digest

— A Mentored Youth is eligible to hunt during any special youth hunting seasons that apply to any eligible Mentored Youth hunt species.

I'm questioning the right or authority to grant unlicensed youth hunters ages 12-16) to hunt and carry weapons...clearly contrary to provisions in the Digest and more importantly Title 34...

·
Registered
25,117 Posts
outofstater, I agree it is pretty good, I'll go ya one better it's very good
,, but ... there are some confusing and contradictory segments in the Digest.

In particular, the mentored youth and youth hunter areas. These sections should be made very clear to inexperienced hunters, parents, and licensed hunters who are now put in the position of mentoring a youth.

·
Registered
746 Posts
timberdoodle said:
pg 15 Digest
An unlicensed person may accompany a properly licensed hunter or trapper provided the unlicensed person acts only as observer and does not, in any
manner, participate in hunting or trapping. Any person accompanying a licensed hunter must wear the required amount of fluorescent orange. An unlicensed
person who has never held a hunting license in Pennsylvania or any other state may accompany a properly licensed hunter or trapper and
participate in these activities providing the following requirements are met: The person remains in sight and close to a hunter at least 18 years of age;
the unlicensed person does not possess a firearm, bow or other hunting device; the person complies with fluorescent orange requirements; and the person
is listed, if mandated, on a hunting roster as a member of the hunting party. The ratio of licensed hunters to non-licensed persons must not exceed 1:1.

I think the last line sums ut up. 1 per hunter a 1:1 ratio.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
timberdoodle said:
page 15

Youth Squirrel Season Oct. 6-12
Junior Pheasant Season and Junior Cottontail Rabbit Season Oct. 6-13
Deer Oct. 18-20
(Antlerless Only; Junior License holders with required antlerless license; statewide)
Youth Turkey Hunt April 20, 2013
(Spring Gobbler; Junior License holders with required license; statewide)
Youth Waterfowl Hunt Days (* Junior License Holders 12-15). The PGC Executive Director will designate one shooting day at Middle Creek
and Pymatuning as a youth-only day, in addition to the statewide youth waterfowl hunting day held in late September each year.

Do unlicensed youth hunting squirrels have to attend HTE?
Same question for Rabbit and Pheasant

How does an unlicensed youth get to carry a gun and participate in a hunt? ***

**** from Title 34

Looks to me like during the youth squirrel and pheasant season non licensed youths may participate. They would not need the HTE; however if they wanted to purchase a license they would then need the HTE.

·
Registered
25,117 Posts
I see....

but right above in the Digest is:

<span style="font-style: italic"> An unlicensed person may accompany a properly licensed hunter or trapper provided the unlicensed person acts only as observer <span style="font-weight: bold"> and does not, in any
manner, participate in hunting or trapping. </span> Any person accompanying a licensed hunter must wear the required amount of fluorescent orange. <span style="text-decoration: underline"> An unlicensed
the unlicensed person does not possess a firearm, bow or other hunting device; the person complies with fluorescent orange requirements </span></span>

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
And I see also but I think there are certain provisions for non licensed youth hunters to "try" hunting out in the special youth seasons without having to purchase a license. Maybe someone who is certain will chime in here.

·
Registered
25,117 Posts
That is the jist of this topic... Confusion within the digest... Not so much looking for answers to specific questions but rather pointing out areas that people find confusing...

If someone who knows for certain chimes in and straightens me out...the confusion will continue to exist for those who miss this thread

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
timberdoodle said:
pg 15 Digest

1 but if you use a roster each hunter may have an unlicensed person with them.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
timberdoodle said:
That is the jist of this topic... Confusion within the digest... Not so much looking for answers to specific questions but rather pointing out areas that people find confusing...

If someone who knows for certain chimes in and straightens me out...the confusion will continue to exist for those who miss this thread
Point taken...

·
Registered
5,797 Posts
I must say the mentored program never pertained to me so i never really read on it. I just been so impressed last 10 years of havning a friendly manual.

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
The Digest indicates quite incorrectly that "ANY MUZZLE LOADER" of proper caliber is legal for regular firearms deer and bear, yet the regulations expressly limit the permissible muzzle loaders to flint, percussion and primer ignited muzzle loaders. No CVA electras, no wheel locks, no match locks, no needle fire.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Yep and he is still wrong. I41.18 permitted devices.

(1) Any manually operated firearm that uses an electronic impulse to detonate the primer or main powder charge of the ammunition unless those firearms are a specifically prohibited device

1 - 20 of 30 Posts