The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Driving home from camp I pass quite a few other camps. Some of them I kind of consider what I think of as "Landmark Camps" because first off they have been there for a long long time and second because I have heard people using them as landmarks when giving someone directions or describing where a place is or telling where something happened. It also helps that they have good names that everybody remembers.

Three that come to mind for me are Point Camp at Seldom Seen Corners and Ross Run Rangers Camp and the Cochranton Hunting Club both on triple six. Back in the day those were all busy camps and there was always someone around, not so much any more but the camps are still there and hopefully will be for decades to come.
Know any other camps like this in the ANF? Ill bet Ill know where most of them are.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I live about 3 minutes up the hill from the Ross Run Rangers. It's on German Hill Rd though, before you get to the T at 666 at Whig Hill. We always refer to it as the diarrhea camp because of its color. Maybe we're talking about a different one. I see some trucks there on occasion. They keep it nice! I saw the biggest bear I've ever seen in their front yard one night last summer on my way to pick up dinner from Cougar Bobs.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Ross Run Rangers has been there for years, In the 1960s and 70s the place seemed to be busy every weekend. Charlie's Roost at the T of German Hill Rd and 666 is another one from way back, when giving directions is always mentioned.

·
Registered
3,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I live about 3 minutes up the hill from the Ross Run Rangers. It's on German Hill Rd though, before you get to the T at 666 at Whig Hill. We always refer to it as the diarrhea camp because of its color. Maybe we're talking about a different one. I see some trucks there on occasion. They keep it nice! I saw the biggest bear I've ever seen in their front yard one night last summer on my way to pick up dinner from Cougar Bobs.
Geese your right, it is on the German hill rd. What was I thinking? And yeah we are talking about the same camp, diarrhea does describe the color. And they do keep that place up. But it used to be occupied quite a bit. Dont often see any one there now.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Ross Run Rangers has been there for years, In the 1960s and 70s the place seemed to be busy every weekend. Charlie's Roost at the T of German Hill Rd and 666 is another one from way back, when giving directions is always mentioned.
The last two times I've been past Charlie's Roost the place was packed with trucks. I never saw much action there and was surprised to see the place packed up like it was. And this was recent. Wonder if it changed hands?

·
Registered
3,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The last two times I've been past Charlie's Roost the place was packed with trucks. I never saw much action there and was surprised to see the place packed up like it was. And this was recent. Wonder if it changed hands?
Maybe it did. But if its being used its a good thing. :smile2:

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Charlie's Roost, anybody remember in the 60s and 70s when there was always big Cadillac's or Lincoln's parked there, and till a few years ago, a couple of them where still sitting in the garage behind the place. The old timers in the area have some pretty good stories to tell about the place. Go further back that lane and some of the folks from the Roost built a bigger and more secluded place at the end of the lane. A guy from Tionesta told me he worked for a building supply company and was delivering lumber to the place and was met by armed security.

·
Registered
10,683 Posts
I hardly ever see anyone at this place, maybe two or three times in my entire life, but we have always used it as a landmark for directions and such. The Three Crows Lodge in Brookston. All the rest of the camps that I would have considered "landmarks" have been torn down or are long sold or abandoned.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Charlie's Roost, anybody remember in the 60s and 70s when there was always big Cadillac's or Lincoln's parked there, and till a few years ago, a couple of them where still sitting in the garage behind the place. The old timers in the area have some pretty good stories to tell about the place. Go further back that lane and some of the folks from the Roost built a bigger and more secluded place at the end of the lane. A guy from Tionesta told me he worked for a building supply company and was delivering lumber to the place and was met by armed security.
I know a lady who used to clean for them at the fortress. I never asked her but this is what I was told.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
We're not in the ANF but mostly SF land. But we do have a number of camps we use as directional markers. One of them isn't even there anymore but we still say "Up behind ol' smoky".

·
Registered
118 Posts
Charlie Roost Post

Interesting. I know a lot of people that have camps around and also back that lane. Never heard they built a more secluded place at the back of the lane.......

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
There is a large group of guys that put up a big tent camp for deer season along Heart's Content rd between 337 and the Hickory Creek Trail. From what i've been told, they've been setting up at that location for quite some time, and are well known to a lot of people in the area. By the looks of there set up every year, it looks like they know what they're doing. I'm sure they have a great bunch of stories to tell from the many years at that camp. They also put up a smaller version for bear season.

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
There is a large group of guys that put up a big tent camp for deer season along Heart's Content rd between 337 and the Hickory Creek Trail. From what i've been told, they've been setting up at that location for quite some time, and are well known to a lot of people in the area. By the looks of there set up every year, it looks like they know what they're doing. I'm sure they have a great bunch of stories to tell from the many years at that camp. They also put up a smaller version for bear season.
Yep every year they are there and get deer!!

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Interesting. I know a lot of people that have camps around and also back that lane. Never heard they built a more secluded place at the back of the lane.......
Do you know Butch and Rose back in there. Their from Homestead. Butch is quite the character. I haven't ran into them in quite a few years.

·
Banned
2,004 Posts
German HH if you pass Ross run rangers and go up the hill past the farm lady on the left side are you in that area. I buy my corn from the farm lady.:turkey_track:

·
Registered
3,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I hunt up that way and see those guys every year. I'm told that tent camp has been set every buck season for over 30 years.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
[/FONT]
German HH if you pass Ross run rangers and go up the hill past the farm lady on the left side are you in that area. I buy my corn from the farm lady.:turkey_track:
That's Schraeders Farm. No I'm the other direction. Just a little tip for you. If you join the Kelletville Sportsmans Club ($20/year), you can sign up down Cougar Bobs, they have a corn crib that all members can get 2 bags of cob corn every Saturday from 11am-2pm right after flintlock ends till end of March. Not to mention a really nice banquet/party at the Flying W at the beginning of September with good food, prizes, prizes for kids, etc. Well worth $20. You don't have to volunteer for anything but you can. I help stock fish for the kids derbies down at Ross Run. If you got any youngsters 12 or under you have to take them, they'll have a blast if you never have. I take my daughter down for the derbies and almost everyday after school and she has caught so many monsters we've lost track.

·
Banned
2,004 Posts
My friends do that at Cougar Bobs they have a camp on Kiefer Hill their up there all the time. My timing for the corn is earlier in the yr.I know the club does the trout thing for the kids they do a lot up there. Im looking in that area up that way.:turkey_track:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts