The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know of any reputable surveyors in the Lewisburg/Milton areas of Union county. Your help is much appreciated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,831 Posts
Here is a link to the licenced PLS in Union County..........

Obviously you would only want to look at the ones with the active license......

PLS List
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,831 Posts
Nope, I don't know any of them........but I would trust most any PLS...........
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,079 Posts
Buckshot1822 said:
Nope, I don't know any of them........but I would trust most any PLS...........
I did Federal Jury Duty in Phila years ago, two deveopers were seeking damages from extra construction expenses due to a PLS supposed errors on three job sites. A PLS is liable for errors on plots he affixed w/ his seal.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,831 Posts
wis bang said:
Buckshot1822 said:
Nope, I don't know any of them........but I would trust most any PLS...........
I did Federal Jury Duty in Phila years ago, two deveopers were seeking damages from extra construction expenses due to a PLS supposed errors on three job sites. A PLS is liable for errors on plots he affixed w/ his seal.
Yep, that is why they carry errors and omission insurance.........everyone makes mistakes at some point
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
377 Posts
Re: Land Surveying From White Deer

My neighbors, of suburban Watsontown, have used Larry Gerhard of White Deer??. They would not use any one unless the surveyor was good.

Good luck with your project.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28,459 Posts
Re: Land Surveying From White Deer

Hey is there anyway to ballpark your lines with a GPS??? If they are straight borders and you got corner posts?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,831 Posts
Re: Land Surveying From White Deer

RB-HPA said:
Hey is there anyway to ballpark your lines with a GPS??? If they are straight borders and you got corner posts?
If it is just for the purpose of roughly knowing where they are, sure you can probably wing something in there......but more than likely if you know where the pins are, you should be able to follow the lines by looking for old blazes that are scarred up on trees, or old fence rows and things of that nature.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,060 Posts
Re: Land Surveying From White Deer

Buckshot1822 said:
RB-HPA said:
Hey is there anyway to ballpark your lines with a GPS??? If they are straight borders and you got corner posts?
If it is just for the purpose of roughly knowing where they are, sure you can probably wing something in there......but more than likely if you know where the pins are, you should be able to follow the lines by looking for old blazes that are scarred up on trees, or old fence rows and things of that nature.....
Existing evidence can be hit or miss. Typically it's pretty representative of the parcel boundary but I've seen cases where it has strayed quite some distance from a property line.

Handheld GPS can be used so long as it's accuracy limitations are considered. It would work well for mapping a boundary of a large parcel for use on a program like Google Earth.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,831 Posts
Re: Land Surveying From White Deer

wdchuckhuntr said:
Buckshot1822 said:
RB-HPA said:
Hey is there anyway to ballpark your lines with a GPS??? If they are straight borders and you got corner posts?
If it is just for the purpose of roughly knowing where they are, sure you can probably wing something in there......but more than likely if you know where the pins are, you should be able to follow the lines by looking for old blazes that are scarred up on trees, or old fence rows and things of that nature.....
Existing evidence can be hit or miss. Typically it's pretty representative of the parcel boundary but I've seen cases where it has strayed quite some distance from a property line.

Handheld GPS can be used so long as it's accuracy limitations are considered. It would work well for mapping a boundary of a large parcel for use on a program like Google Earth.
You almost always find old blazes, or sign of the property line.........if you at least know what are to look in
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,060 Posts
Re: Land Surveying From White Deer

Land surveying is my job so I'm quite familiar with boundary line evidence. As such, I've surveyed numerous parcels without evidence on one, or more, property lines. I've also seen it stray significant distances from the deed line.

I'm not saying your advise isn't right in general, I'm just hesitant to tell people that 'field evidence' is absolute.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,162 Posts
Re: Land Surveying From White Deer

Some of the satellite aerial photo services have built in photometric software for use, but they will only get you within 5 or 10 feet.

Surveyors don't even need straight paths cleared to strike a line. I understand the current GPS they use is accurate to a 10 thousandth of an inch.

My property has 14 different lines. Most of the corners have either monuments or pins I had problems when pins were removed so I had the surveyor place pins every 200 feet along one 1,000 ft line. After the surveyor was done, I drove 6 ft t-posts ten feet away from each corner pin. I also painted boundary trees with wide bands of white paint so they could be seen from any direction from a long way off. Makes it much easier to find the lines when the underbrush grows.

Another problem is where old deed descriptions do not match the actual corners. Or where the deed description doesn't even "close", meaning that following the written deed, the last line does not meet the beginning point. There are free deed plotter programs on the internet to map out deeds to check actual shape and how good the deed description is or isn't.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,390 Posts
Re: Land Surveying From White Deer

RB-HPA said:
Hey is there anyway to ballpark your lines with a GPS??? If they are straight borders and you got corner posts?
When I bought my property years ago, before GPS was widely available, I shot lines with a hand magnetic compass. Corners were all pinned, no blazes, straight lines. I would make a bearing and have a helper move to that spot and flag. I would move to his spot back sight to the last spot and take another bearing and so on. Moved to the pin and did the same back to the starting point.

Since I was not doing a legal survey, I wanted to be particularly conservative. A couple of years ago when the gas companies were looking to build a road into a pad location, they did a gps survey. My compass survey was generally within 10 feet of actual on my side of the line. The exception was along the belly of a 3000 foot run where I was off about 50 feet on my side. Neighbor was surprised so he had a surveyor confirm the gps line.

Later I went pin to pin with a gps to put it on a map and have waypoints on the line.

With a little practice, compass lines can get you pretty close.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,831 Posts
Re: Land Surveying From White Deer

wdchuckhuntr said:
Land surveying is my job so I'm quite familiar with boundary line evidence. As such, I've surveyed numerous parcels without evidence on one, or more, property lines. I've also seen it stray significant distances from the deed line.

I'm not saying your advise isn't right in general, I'm just hesitant to tell people that 'field evidence' is absolute.
It is my job also.........so, I think my advice is pretty sound, any recent surveys should be well marked, and old surveys are also usually well marked, you just might have to look a while to find evidence of blazes and witnesses.....

I understand what you are saying, but it isn't really the norm, more so an exception in general....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,060 Posts
Re: Land Surveying From White Deer

Sorry for butchering your post but I thought I'd add a couple things.

zimmerstutzen said:
I understand the current GPS they use is accurate to a 10 thousandth of an inch. More along the lines of thousandths of a foot with extended static observations and hundredths to tenths of a foot for real time observations. Under tree canopy it's nearly useless.

My property has 14 different lines. Most of the corners have either monuments or pins I had problems when pins were removed so I had the surveyor place pins every 200 feet along one 1,000 ft line. I'm not a proponent of pinning property lines unless absolutely necessary because it can lead to confusion for adjacent landowners.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28,459 Posts
Re: Land Surveying From White Deer

Thanks guys for the advice. 2 of my 4 lines have barbwire imbedded in trees, one border a lease that ran there lines, the lines up front are the ones that has no markers just corner posts..not that far of a distance to run that is why I asked. One runs up a hill, the other threw a neighbors field til it reaches the barbwire hedge row in the woods. the field seems to keep getting bigger and bigger every summer via brush-hog to the point the aerial shows the overstepping pretty well and that pic is 2 years old. not a big deal but at this pace he will be cutting the lawn of camp in 10 years...LOL

Can surveyors run portions of lines or do they have to go corner post to corner post?? they want $3500 to do the full lines, but really only missing two small straight lines for sure. Maybe 500 yards of marking.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,060 Posts
Re: Land Surveying From White Deer

Generally, unless the parcel is quite large there is about as much work involved in surveying a single line as there is to do the whole parcel. The issue with surveying one line is that it's harder to ensure that it actually works with the original parcel description if you don't survey the whole thing.


It's typically more cost effective to have the entire parcel surveyed. For example; a four sided parcel may cost $2000 for the whole thing or $1500 to do one line.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,831 Posts
Re: Land Surveying From White Deer

I would agree, you almost never find anyone that is willing to survey one line of a parcel..........The simple fact is that, they cannot reasonably verify the boundary of the parcel without surveying the entire perimeter.......
 
1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Top