The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can a land owner keep you from traveling to Game Land that is surround by their land that is posted?

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
Yes they can. They do not have to allow a right of way to the game lands. This is happening where I hunt at.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
It doesn't sound logical that the PGC would buy land for public use that didn't have a legal right of way.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gl 230 off of Rt. 944 Carlisle Springs. There is a plot of game land on top with posted signs all around it.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
I know that game lands. My land actually borders it a little on top, on the east side. The term landlocked threw me off. I thought you meant completely surrounded by non accessible land.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is it accessible and how? I walked up through Lamps Gap Hunt Club, after going in the gate and driving up to the end of that dirt road. I hunted and hiked to the top where I found posted signs all around that land.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Eminant domain I dont think you can really land lock someone anymore.If the state wants access, dont think for a minute they wont get it. Someone must have donated property to them, i cant see them buying propertry that they cant use.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
It is very doubtful the SGL is landlocked, in fact, I'm sure its not. It has access somewhere, just not where you want it to be. Bordering landowners have every right to post their property and not allow you to cross to get to the SGL, same with state forests.

In one part of Tioga County there is a nice tract of state forest that is completely surrounded by private land. The is ONE access point, that I know of, and it is a log road that comes out on a township road. There is no other public access.

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
Rights of way are a big problem on some game lands. Seems you can't attend, or read the agenda for any meeting without seeing some acquisition , donation, or land swap to get better access. The lack of access is a big problem for both hunters and the GC.

The GC is limited to $400 an acre for buying land. They can under the Federal Pittman Robertson Law swap land - but the key is that the swap needs to be of a higher value to sportsmen.

Better access to game lands is a high priority mission within the GC. The gas drilling and other activities on the GL's, with or without the GC being the recipient of the actual activity precedes is helping. There have been numerous donations of land, or swaps of land, by gas, coal, and timber companies recently. Many times, these provide access to portions of existing GL's that was formerly not there.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
The new PGC site doesn't have the SGL maps on it yet, but by looking at my Gazetteer, it does show the SGL coming down to 944 and is on both sides of the road at one point.

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
It doesn't have the maps, but it says about the designated routes. In that section it says "Starting at a gate along State Route 944 in North Middleton Township."

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
There are several access points along Wertzville road.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks all! When my old bag of bones recover and I'm in the area I will explore that area more. On my topo map it shows that GL from 944 to the top then off to the side is another plot marked 230. It looks detached from the main land.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts