The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw someone mention that they were buying different produce at a produce auction in Lancaster County and that the produce is going pretty cheap...

Can someone explain WERE it is at and what day and time?

My Buddy and I are in need of some tomatoes.....We would like to check this place out, see what kind of tomatoes they are selling and maybe get some if they look VINE RIPE!

·
Registered
507 Posts
There's a big auction in Leola where a lot of Amish farmers bring their produce but prices can change day to day. If your just looking for tomatoes check out the Corn Wagon on 741 near Millersville. It's the Breneman Farm and should have plenty of tomatoes soon, they also go out daily and pick fresh corn. Small family farm and roadside stand but one that is very popular. Roots is good as well but I don't get there much.

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We would like to do an Auction...better chance at not paying Full Bushel Prices for the tomaotes at an auction, but have to WATCH for some try to pass off nasty tasteing Hot House Tomatoes as Field Vine Rippened!

I've been to Roots many times, never saw them Auction Produce off.....
Is that a new thing??

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
The auction is in Leola everyday during the week. My Bro in law goes there to buy produce. Right now it is hit or miss with the prices. If they get alot of people from out of the state the prices go real high, if it is just locals the prices are staying pretty good. He has seen tomatoes go from $0.80 cents a box to $38.00 a box.

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So.....What time does the Produce Auction Start? It does not say on thier website or I'm missing were it is saying when it starts!

The small Animal Auction normally starts around 4-5 so I'm assuming that the produce auction has to be earlier??

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Rober said:
The auction is in Leola everyday during the week. My Bro in law goes there to buy produce. Right now it is hit or miss with the prices. If they get alot of people from out of the state the prices go real high, if it is just locals the prices are staying pretty good. He has seen tomatoes go from $0.80 cents a box to $38.00 a box.
At Roots or were?

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
I will check for sure, but I think the produce auction starts around 7:00 a.m.
The auction is not at Roots market outside of Manhiem, it is in Leola which is on Rt 23 going towards New Holland, Pa. It is right off of Rt. 23 You should be able to mapquest it if you have an address. I am not sure if of the address down there. I can get more info tommorrow if you need just lwet me know

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
My buddie gets stuff and it is not going very cheap $50 for a case of tomatoes and $5 a dozen for sweet corn that is not cheap.....At leola auction

·
Registered
592 Posts
Woody, I believe they're referring to Schuler's produce auction at Roots. It's the next building over from the animal auction building. I'll have to check with the wife for the correct times, but produce will start closer to noon and around four o'clock they start another auctioneer on flowers, plants and shrubs, etc. sometimes they sell till 9 or later in the evening. Pretty fair amount of local produce, and lots of expired or near expired dated grocery items. The wife and I go up fairly often and always go home with a car load of stuff.

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
PaPredHunter said:
My buddie gets stuff and it is not going very cheap $50 for a case of tomatoes and $5 a dozen for sweet corn that is not cheap.....At leola auction
Holy Hanna!

That is WAY OVER BOARD!!

My Buddy and I know what the prices are for Whole Sale Bushels of Tomatoes and when our corn is ready, we always sell it for $1.50 a Bakers Dozen to stores we sell to that resale and we then sell from his place or I take orders and we sell Bakers Dozens at $2.00 a Bakers Dozen to people....
5 Bucks a Dozen....Has to be Brain Dead New Jersians Bidding Against each other!
I've seen that done MANY Times while at Roots....they could get some of the Birds sold thru a Farmer or thru a Catalog....But they stand there and Bid against each other and Argue and Moan!

They have to be plain NUTS if they are paying 50 bucks for a case!

Since the little problem this year of the Blight, my Buddy is loosing almost all of his Tomatoes and mine are growing but not doing all that good because the deer LOVE to Snip the Tops off them and have stunted them pretty good....I'm not dealing with the Blight and we have our gardens only 400 yards apart.....My Buddy was talking yesturday about going together next year and Plowing up his Back Yard and planting JUST tomatoes in there and letting his Garden Rest and me just planting peppers, cucumbers, watermelons, cantalopes and pumpkins in my Garden and we would then split the tomotoes and sell what is extra....

my buddy said he would swap me peppers for tomatoes but that really doesn't seem like it is going to come about....I'm not going to get many tomatoes!
We were talking Yesturday about the Produce Auctions...we were thinking of trying to go in on some bushels of tomatoes for home made sauce and salsa.....
Guess if we can come up with a location other then root's we will check them out, but there is no way in this world we are going to pay 50 bucks for a case of tomatoes...

Don't those people THINK of how much less they would spend at a road side stand or from a farmer who just sells here and there to people who want some???

We know a guy who goes to a Produce Auction up near Selingsgrove along 11&15, but we have had some of those tomatoes last year and they tasted like CARDBOARD.....We want Farm Raised, Vine Rippened Tomatoes...not Green Picked, Gased to Ripen Hard as Bullets Crap!

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
If I were you I would check out the corn wagon suggestion. The Brennemans are very good with their prices and I am sure if you went there and talked to them they would give you a good price for a large quantity of tomatos. Get there early becuse when corn s in season it looks like buzzards on a gut wagon when the wagaon loads of corn arrive.

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
Produce auctions I know of are
Lebanon Produce auction-Reistville
Leola Produce auction-Leola
Weaverland Produce auction-East Earl

If you are buying corn to freeze,get with a couple others and split a pickup load.It a whole lot cheaper that way.Many roadside stands buy here and resell and make $$$$$.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Since it's early in the season and the tomato blight issue a lot of tomatoes have been going to the Philly and New York foodservice markets from Leola and I'm sure that's affecting the price. I paid $24/cs last week for a cs of #1 5x6 tomatoes. The prices should drop soon as more start to ripen and push up the supply.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Woodywoodduck said:
PaPredHunter said:
Holy Hanna!

That is WAY OVER BOARD!!

My Buddy and I know what the prices are for Whole Sale Bushels of Tomatoes and when our corn is ready, we always sell it for $1.50 a Bakers Dozen to stores we sell to that resale and we then sell from his place or I take orders and we sell Bakers Dozens at $2.00 a Bakers Dozen to people....
5 Bucks a Dozen....Has to be Brain Dead New Jersians Bidding Against each other!
I've seen that done MANY Times while at Roots....they could get some of the Birds sold thru a Farmer or thru a Catalog....But they stand there and Bid against each other and Argue and Moan!

They have to be plain NUTS if they are paying 50 bucks for a case!

Since the little problem this year of the Blight, my Buddy is loosing almost all of his Tomatoes and mine are growing but not doing all that good because the deer LOVE to Snip the Tops off them and have stunted them pretty good....I'm not dealing with the Blight and we have our gardens only 400 yards apart.....My Buddy was talking yesturday about going together next year and Plowing up his Back Yard and planting JUST tomatoes in there and letting his Garden Rest and me just planting peppers, cucumbers, watermelons, cantalopes and pumpkins in my Garden and we would then split the tomotoes and sell what is extra....

my buddy said he would swap me peppers for tomatoes but that really doesn't seem like it is going to come about....I'm not going to get many tomatoes!
We were talking Yesturday about the Produce Auctions...we were thinking of trying to go in on some bushels of tomatoes for home made sauce and salsa.....
Guess if we can come up with a location other then root's we will check them out, but there is no way in this world we are going to pay 50 bucks for a case of tomatoes...

Don't those people THINK of how much less they would spend at a road side stand or from a farmer who just sells here and there to people who want some???

We know a guy who goes to a Produce Auction up near Selingsgrove along 11&15, but we have had some of those tomatoes last year and they tasted like CARDBOARD.....We want Farm Raised, Vine Rippened Tomatoes...not Green Picked, Gased to Ripen Hard as Bullets Crap!
My bro in law talks to a guy from D.C. He sells his corn 3 blocks from the capital at a produce wagon for $8.00 a doz. and that was last years prices. Last year they would buy corn for $0.25 cents a dozen. That is a heck of a mark-up, and he cant get enough of it. He will buy 500-600 doz. and it is gone in a day or two. He also buys Turkey Hill drinks from my cousins wife who runs the food stand there and he sells them for $4.00 for a pint of tea. He pays $0.50 for them. Maybe you should take you stuff to D.C. and you could retire at the end of the season. He said again today prices are very unstable and is hit or miss

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
John S said:
If I were you I would check out the corn wagon suggestion. The Brennemans are very good with their prices and I am sure if you went there and talked to them they would give you a good price for a large quantity of tomatos. Get there early becuse when corn s in season it looks like buzzards on a gut wagon when the wagaon loads of corn arrive.
John, that is so true, me and my wife were coming home from Woody's Crab House in Northeast last year and we thought we would stop and get some corn. They were bring a new wagon load of corn in and people just swarmed out of the woodwork to that place took 10 mins to get our corn, and had to wait 1/2 hr to get out of the parking lot it was that full

·
Registered
12,372 Posts
Schuler's Auction at Roots (every Tuesday) starts in the afternoon and usually runs until 9:30pm or later, sometimes till midnight.

You have to watch the stuff. Some times it is way overripe, sometimes a little green. Some groceries are outdated. I bought 80 lbs of limes, and had to throw out about 7 or 8 limes from the bunch. I once saw folks paying 25 cents a case for eggplant, and I don't think any of it was any good. I often see flats of strawberries that have started to mold, you just have to watch. Mrs. bought a flat of seedless grapes last Tuesday even. and they were just fine. Oddball fruits and veggies go cheap. Romanesque, Broccolini, Pluots, Pomegranites. usually pretty cheap when they have it. Mrs. bought a 20 lb head of cabbage for 75 or 50 cents. We've already made and eaten several pounds of coleslaw. Even if we feed half the cabbage to the chickens, we got our $'s worth.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Prices are on the way down at the Leola Produce Auction. Corn for about $1.00 a doz. and tomatoes for about $5.00 a box. Peppers are going real cheap and they are practicaly giving away cantelopes.
FYI, talking to the DC man and he is getting $1.50 per ear for corn and tomatoes he is getting $4.99 a lb. and green peppers are going for $2.50 per pc.!!! just goes to show you how stupid these politicians are!!!!

Thursdays and fridays seem to be the best days for good prices. All of the out of state people are coming early in the week.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts