The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heres another small batch of covered bridges from Lancaster County . Not all the best quality and are more for Documentation than anything else . Lighting , wires , road signs can make these very tough . Lots of fun just running around just to find them .(GPS is a must )Enjoy !!

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Lancaster County just got done reconstructing one on Log Cabin Road near Brownstown. I think it was closed for about a year.

I've been thru the Hunsecker Bridge a few times. Its a nice long one, but I seem to think it was damaged a couple years ago and needed repaired.

If not mistaken, the DeLorme PA Gazetteer has covered bridges located and marked on their maps?

·
Registered
6,866 Posts
Both the Hunsecker bridge and the Pinetown bridge got washed away in the Agnes flood in 1972 and were replaced. I lived near there and saw one of those bridges floating down Conestoga Creek like a boat and saw it smash into the Route 23 highway bridge. It was pretty spectacular. Boards went flying up in the air. That bridge was totally restored and totally replaced.

The other covered bridge washed up in some farmer's field, and from what I heard they were able to re-use many of the timbers.

The Route 23 highway bridge was replaced after the 1972 Agnes flood too, because it had been damaged.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
I live about 2 miles from where the old Risser's Mill Covered Bridge used to be.(Arsonist) I also remember after picking up my BIL for doe season one year(before AR) and driving past, there was a car upside down and sideways inside the Covered Bridge. No one around!! How he did it I have no idead!!!!

·
HPA Admin Approved Vendor
6,173 Posts
Beautiful shots Crappie.

Hey, I'm going to be in Smoketown for a few days on an assignment for a magazine the second week of June. If anyone has any suggestions for bridge or old mill photo op's I would appreciate a heads up. Years ago the wife and I visited a place near Intercourse that had a beautiful stone mill with a working waterwheel but I'll be darned if I can remember the name of the place.

Thanks

Griz

1 - 13 of 13 Posts