The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if any of you have ever fished lake Toho in Central Flordia. I am heading down there this week and am thinking about renting a boat to fish, in addition to the suf fishing I wll be doing on the coast.
Thanks in advance

·
Super Moderator
23,763 Posts
Never fished there but fished a lot in Florida both salt and fresh. The fishing is incredible you will have fun.

Big wild shiners will put some nice bass in the boat. I also found darker spinner baits to be very productive

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I read alot about those shiners doing some damage on the bass....thanks for the input

·
Super Moderator
23,763 Posts
Throw some oatmeal out in a good area and come back a half hour later.
Throw cast net and fill the live well then go fish

·
Registered
353 Posts
I've fished that lake, wasn't real impressed. It's huge and hard to figure out where the bass are at. Of course when we were there (mid febuary) we had 20 mph sustained winds, it was rough ! Hiring a guide wouldn't be a bad idea.

For shinner fishing you want 20 lb mono, and depending on shinner size you want 3/0 -5/0 straight shank hook with the wire weed guard. If you're anchoring on a spot, hook the shinner just behind the dorsal fin, and a bobber about 3 to 4 foot up the line. Another way to fish them and my favorite way is to troll them. Hook the shinner up through it;s upper palate and out through it's nostril. DON"T hook through the bottom jaw, or through the center of the head (it's brains).They will live a long time hooked the way I said. I like to run one on a bobber about 20 to 30 yds behind the boat, and run one without a bobber closer to the boat. You can use the wind and trolling motor on low to fish them.

Good luck !

1 - 5 of 5 Posts