The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heading up for the first time this weekend.

Staying at the Days Inn in Brewerton.

Anyone have any times for me on where to launch, where to fish and how?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
If you go to the NYS DEC website and search for Oneida Lake, they have a list of the public lauching sites on the lake. I know there are some on the Brewerton end of the lake. DEC also has a fishing hot line, but it is not very specific. If Oneida doesn't work out for you, I was out on Ontario Saturday and they were biting good in the Galloo island area. we took smallies to 4 and 1/2 lbs, but I was talking with the regional fisheries manager and he said occasional 5 lbers were being taken.

·
Registered
959 Posts
wait til the elite guys come up and follow them around!
Good luck been over the lake to go to Canada and looks sweet. Love fishing the finger lakes but never been on that one.

·
Banned
1,323 Posts
Ted...
Try calling Bill of Lucky Dutchman Charter's... He is in Lake Ontario (about 25 minute's up Rte. 81).. He fishes Oneida quite a bit for walleyes and I'm sure he'd be happy to give you some info.. He also has a small lodge that may save you some money on lodging, if you don't mind a 1/2 drive to the lake.. So give him a shout, it won't hurt and hes a great guy... Here's his web site with phone number.. Tell him Rich said to call... http://www.luckydutchman.net/

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys.

Appreciate it.

We go to Keuka a lot and decided to give Oneida a try for a little variety.

Will let you know how we did.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Ted, good luck. Ilived on the East end of Oneida, for 5 years. One thing I would highly recommend is get a good map.Any areas that go from 20ft to 5ft will hold smallmouths. Tube jigs, countdown rapalas,minnows or crawfish will all work. Marion Manor Marina in Sylvan Beach can give you some info. 315-762-4810

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'm here also but I own a house. You really came at a little off time for lake Oneida. Best bass is mid June through July and September through October if your in the Brewerton area be careful for the thousands of pickeral that will attack every bait you throw. I would suggest some close to shore large mouth fishing in <7 feet of water or the drop offs as suggested for smallies. I wish you luck.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I didn't even attempt to get out today, some beautiful storms though.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I was up there twice last year. We launched out of Oneida Shores. We headed up the lake and had very good luck around the islands on the ledges of the shoals. I fished tubes and senkos in early summer with good luck. We went back at the end of September and the weeds were really thick. Caught most of them on floating frogs. Watch out for the pickerel and good luck!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts