The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone ever fish gaston in nc or va? going there memorial weekend.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Yes, my GF was from that area.I have done a good bit of fishing down there. All depending on what type of fishing you want to do down there..Kerr lake is just up the river, monster bass and cats.great crappie n white perch fishing..

·
Registered
5,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i cant wait. i just hope i get the boat fixed before then. i have the motor off and need to replace the transom.
is kerr in va or nc? pretty sure you can fish all of gaston even the nc side with a va lic. the va lic is much cheaper than the nc lic.
also would like to try some bowfishing for gar while there.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Gaston and Kerr both on border of vA/NC. vAlicense good from either state. Should be good top water early. Haven't been down in about 20 yrs but had great trips on either very time down. Lake Anna another good VA lake but not as big as the other 2. Good luck. Wouldn't hurt to hire a guide or 1 day, you could learn alot for the money.

·
Registered
29 Posts
If it's Bass you're fishin for, Gaston's a decent lake at that time of year, however you'll be fishing for very late spawners and post spawn fish. Work hard enough & you'll come up with something. The fish are there.

Boat docks & secondary points inside the larger creeks should be producing on all types of baits. Many fish will have already moved into the main lake to areas associated with the old river channel.

I fished there a lot during the early 80's, & go back from time to time. I took Randy Howell fishing in my boat a few times when he was just a kid. Even at 12 years old I knew he was gifted. His dad was a guide at the Timber Lodge, I used to hire him when I prefished for the Piedmont division Red Man tourneys held there.

The water's clean there & It don't fluctuate nearly as much as the other impoundments of the Roanoake plus there are still areas of undeveloped shoreline. Internet research on some of the Bass Boards and a good topo map are all you need.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts