The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
I went out last night for a couple of hours to an easy access spot. I arrived at 12:30 AM and was the only person fishing. The alewives were jumping everywhere with the occasional striper splash, but I had no luck using topwater lures. I was very surprised by the lack of activity from the fisherman, only a few boats in the area that I could see. I'll try it again next week and let you know if I do any better. I have always had better luck later into June.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just returned from the lake... fished til 1130 when the gale force winds blew in. Not much bait at all where I was. Bait didnt come in at all til around 1030. Only managed one small striper.

·
Super Moderator
4,594 Posts
Deuce280 said:
Just returned from the lake... fished til 1130 when the gale force winds blew in. Not much bait at all where I was. Bait didnt come in at all til around 1030. Only managed one small striper.
Same here, calm as could be, winds came and checked radar, got outta there quick...thank goodness for a fast boat...1 small bass....I quickly remembered why I don't fish weekends very much...no common sense!

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
The alewives here in central Pa. (Pinchot) are not really getting going till around 12-12:30. I had a 21" and buddies in their boat had a 21". We all missed and lost fish.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Another fishless trip out last night. I got out to the lake at 12:30 AM and fished until 2:30. The alewives were again splashing around but hardly any striper activity. I had one strike on a topwater but I missed it. The fish pretty much moved out at 2:00. I might try it a little earlier later this week.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ive always heard the best striper bite is around a full moon and we are approaching a new moon so that may have something to do with the lack of striper activity.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I made it out last night at 11:30 PM. The fish were very active in my location with a striper popping every 30 seconds to a minute around me. I started off using a Bomber Long A with no luck for 45 minutes. I switched to a Spittin Image and had 3 strikes within 5 minutes. I finally hooked a good fish, fought him for a few minutes. The fish had made a few good runs with my drag set well, but it made one last run and my drag didn't keep up with the fish and he broke me off(10 lb test). I had one good look at it and I figured it to be in the 6 - 8 lb range, maybe bigger. After that I struggled to get any fish to look at my baits as that was the only lure of that type that I had with me. Around 1:30 the fish completely went away and that was it for me. This was by far the most active I have had the fish all year for me. Going to try my luck again next week.

·
Registered
19,584 Posts
Caught one today at high noon. Problem was it was only 9 inches.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was on Arthur Fruday evening from 8pm or so until 7am Saturday. The amount of bait is astonishing. I assume they were being pushed around (they acted just like menhaden do when the blues are under them) but we didn't manage to hook any stripers using them as bait.

That was our first try though... next time I think I'll try some surface lures too. Catching bait wasn't a problem. They hit a sabiki rig and bunched up under the boat in our lights, so fairly easy to hit with a cast net.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts