The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Yea, Me too. But dont know if I'll go back there any time soon. It hasnt been too good lately, and the crowds just keep getting larger. Last year, 2nd opening day, we were getting sprayed all over from guys skybusting. It was rediculous !!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Best advice is head somewhere else. Not too many good days on that lake. Wait till its frozen, break open a hole and then you'll kill birds. Other than that, good luck.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
I hunted it,TONS of guys and an ok # of birds,not high or low. My favorite memory from there was 2 yrs ago on the youth duck hunt when 2 guys on a silver pontoon boat with plywood painted RED on all sides shooting at geese 2 miles high. I love it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Double Shorthair said:
I hunted it,TONS of guys and an ok # of birds,not high or low. My favorite memory from there was 2 yrs ago on the youth duck hunt when 2 guys on a silver pontoon boat with plywood painted RED on all sides shooting at geese 2 miles high. I love it.
HAHAHAHAHAH

That lake is super hit or miss for fishing too. I caught a couple stripers on a white fluke one day and other than that a smallie here or there. My father-in-law catches a good bit of perch there...small ones though.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Ive heard locals call it the dead sea. My hunting partner and i tried it for geese a few times. Lots of guys skybusting. We went home early.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
when it comes to fishing it , u have to know the lake, we fish it hard from ice out all the way thru, we hit it hard at night in late april to mid june from 10pm to 3 am,

·
Registered
705 Posts
It was a good year for ice fishing this past winter..I have never hunted birds there...but if its like deer hunting there...bring extra sandwiches for the strangers that are going to come in at 730 am and nearly sit in your lap

·
Registered
491 Posts
Late season when ice starts to cover the shallows can be awesome. Lots of ducks early with lots of so called duck hunters that would not know a decoying duck if it landed on them.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I plan on using a layout there when I move up in November. If anyone is interested I would be willing to take you out. I haven't hunted there in 8 years or so but used to do really well. I am always looking for someone to go out with me. No equipment is required on your part such as decoys and such. PM me if you are interested.

·
Registered
63 Posts
It's gone downhill quite a bit in those 8 years you missed. There are still some ducks now and then, just don't be surprised to have quite a few slow days.

·
Registered
247 Posts
If you scouted it a few days before the season u would think.... "oh my god, this is incredible..... there are birds everywhere.. we are going to slay!" ......and then as u motor across the water in the dark.... to your dismay u will find people camped out (in a state park mind you) shotguns loaded with fire roaring and beer cans being thrown on the bank. 20 minutes before first light people open up shooting at everything including bats 300 yards overhead.... the ducks beat a hasty retreat. 90% dont return to the lake for about 330 days. .....the sad thing is.. this isnt even remotely an exaggeration.
The place has been made a wasteland for waterfowl hunting- its only worth going in the late season- unless you fancy having your decoys sunk by people who are trying to jump shoot. Or having people set up directly across from you despite your lights..... and then shoot toward you. ....my fave memory from here? ....the drunken 3some of "gents" hunting coots With quarter sticks of dynamite. [censored] of a morning.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Kenny you are dead on with the early season. So many deer (so called duck) hunters out to shoot at anything that moves. Late season can be good if you hit it on the right day.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts