The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's a good ladder stand brand/height? I plan on buying one to practice from and move it to the woods during Archery Season. I see a lot that are 15 foot high but this seems to low. I would think 18 - 20 foot would be best. I know Summits are good stands. I have one of there climbers but they are expensive.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
I have used a comfort zone from dicks sporting goods for the last few years and haven't had any issue with the 15' height. I get the stands with the removable shooting rail and arm rests. Its not as comfortable as a bigger 1.5 man stand but it is more than adequate. At $79 on sale it is hard to beat. Plus it wont break the bank if someone decides to walk of with it.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
First off, you want a stand that is comfortable and one you can sit in all day if need be. Also one with side rails for added safety or even a shooting rail that you can move if necessary.

We have a few Rivers Edge Relax Wide 17' ladder stands on our property they sell for around 140.00. They are pretty easy to set up, and they are quite comfortable.. Check them out on the web to get a look at them and some reviews on them.....

·
Registered
12,252 Posts
My opinion is the cheap stands are ok for a couple hr morning or evening sit. If you are doing an all day hunt out of one the extra money is well worth it. Not many ladderstands over 17', but there is a couple. Since I have kids we have all double ladderstands now. I prefer the Big Game brand over the other's that I have owned.

·
Registered
17,072 Posts
set it up in cover and 15' isn't to low at all.

i hunt off the ground during archery season and am very successful. during rifle season my family has two of the out post deluxe ladder stands from field and stream they are 18' and come with a blind that keeps the wind and rain and snow out pretty good. deer walk right under me.

seat cushions, side rails and shooting rest. comfortable enough for an all day sit. $250.00

probably on sale now.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes I agree a good choice based on price. I saw these online at Dick's Sporting Goods. You can usually get a discount if you are a Score Card member too.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
SlickShot said:
First off, you want a stand that is comfortable and one you can sit in all day if need be. Also one with side rails for added safety or even a shooting rail that you can move if necessary.

We have a few Rivers Edge Relax Wide 17' ladder stands on our property they sell for around 140.00. They are pretty easy to set up, and they are quite comfortable.. Check them out on the web to get a look at them and some reviews on them.....
Those do like good. Do you take the rail off for Archery?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
cspot said:
My opinion is the cheap stands are ok for a couple hr morning or evening sit. If you are doing an all day hunt out of one the extra money is well worth it. Not many ladderstands over 17', but there is a couple. Since I have kids we have all double ladderstands now. I prefer the Big Game brand over the other's that I have owned.
Thanks for the information. Looks like they have some good choices on their website. I have son who is just getting into hunting so a two man stand wouldn't be out of the question.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Check out the 16' Comfort Zone Outpost from Field and Stream (Dick's). They are on sale right now for $119. They are light enough you can put them up yourself, really well made and comfortable. You don't have to take the shooting rail off for archery either, it will stay in it's position lifted against the tree if you don't want it down in front of you.

I bought one of these the fall before last and was so impressed that when they were on sale after Thanksgiving I ordered a second one (got it for $89 delivered). I'm keeping my eye on them and if I see them go under $100 bucks I'm grabbing another one too.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Dave Lawrence said:
SlickShot said:

Those do like good. Do you take the rail off for Archery?
Dave, it just depends, the shooting rail pulls off or you can just turn it to the side, I sometimes turn it for archery, and keep it on for rifle...Good Luck with what ever stand you choose....

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
I would get one with a sling seat or padded sling seat for longer sits. The steel seat with just a cushion will only be good for a couple hours for most people.

I need to keep on the lookout for double ladders on sale so I can take the kids out with me more.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
JTman said:
Check out the 16' Comfort Zone Outpost from Field and Stream (Dick's). They are on sale right now for $119. They are light enough you can put them up yourself, really well made and comfortable. You don't have to take the shooting rail off for archery either, it will stay in it's position lifted against the tree if you don't want it down in front of you.

I bought one of these the fall before last and was so impressed that when they were on sale after Thanksgiving I ordered a second one (got it for $89 delivered). I'm keeping my eye on them and if I see them go under $100 bucks I'm grabbing another one too.
I like the fact one person can put it up. I also like the platform for your feet extends completely under it and back to the tree. This stand has some nice features for the price. Plus (as of now) free shipping if ordered online at Field and Stream. Thanks

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Dave Lawrence said:
JTman said:

I like the fact one person can put it up. I also like the platform for your feet extends completely under it and back to the tree. This stand has some nice features for the price. Plus (as of now) free shipping if ordered online at Field and Stream. Thanks
It is a really nice stand for the money. I don't know if you noticed but if you are a first time buyer online if you enter your email address at the bottom of the page you get 15% off your order...that would put this stand at $101 and change delivered. That's a really good deal.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
JTman said:
Dave Lawrence said:
JTman said:

It is a really nice stand for the money. I don't know if you noticed but if you are a first time buyer online if you enter your email address at the bottom of the page you get 15% off your order...that would put this stand at $101 and change delivered. That's a really good deal.
I check with Dicks Sporting Goods and they are sold out. They said they cannot give a date when they will be back in stock. I ended up buying an 18' Brush Ladder by Guide Gear for 85$. I bought from Sportsman Guide via Amazon. Free shipping, arrived within a couple of days. The box is a little beat up and at least 50 lbs. I haven't had a chance to try it yet. I post some info after I have tried it in the field.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
That guide gear wrap around for $125.99 for club members looks interesting. Too bad it isn't a sling style seat. (would be more $). Would work pretty good for bigger diameter trees.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I finally had time to try out the new 18' Guide Gear Brush Ladder. When I opened the box I notice there were not any softeners in between the parts so a lot of the parts had so large scuffs and scratches. The instruction were OK, could have been much better. All of the hardware was present (metric
). They supplied lock nuts which I was glad. They used pins for the ladder section. These pins were the ones with the wire that you could flex a and secure it to the pin. There were three sections of ladder. Each section has a small reinforcing piece of square tubing. The ladder is very narrow, about 10" with about 8" for your foot. The platform is a decent size, you can move around to much. The stand has a flip up seat and arm rails. The padding that it came with for the seat and arm rest is pretty thin. I managed to set this up by myself. It was difficult. I assembled it completely on the ground and lifted it then walked under towards the tree. It took me three tries
. They give you a ratchet strap for the top, two 16' straps that wrap around the tree and one sliding strap for where the lower brace is. Climbing the ladder is a little shaky but not terrible. I add an extra ratchet strap around the top platform for a little more support. I've used it five time so far and I am happy with it. For the price it should be OK for practicing and a little bit of exercise.

·
Registered
807 Posts
I could not sit in a ladder stand for more then 3 hours. It gets uncomfortable sitting on a padded cushion that straps onto the steel seat. What i did before archery season last season was not mount the section you sit on or hand railings. I have a climber and strapped the upper section just at the right height with my feet on the foot rest thats on the ladder stand and rachet strapped it to the tree along with the cable wrapped around to the tree. The rachet strap is used when u climb into the stand it will not move on you. Then i tie a piece of rope to the upper climber left side section to the ladder stand. What a difference that was. I can sit all day. I use to get out of the ladder stand and sit on the ground or go home by 10:00am and go back out the last few hours.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
The best one I found was from Muddy ! it is a 21' archer stand ! it has a seat just like the summit viper seat !

1 - 20 of 27 Posts