The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know where they are stocking in Lackawanna county. They used to stock in Lackawanna state forest but haven't the last two years. I am guessing it's the state park.
How is the pressure on opening day. Francis E Walter dam area is way to crowded and dangerous.

·
Registered
453 Posts
They stock the state park. It is beyond crazy there on the first day or any day the PGC stocks. I guess that can be said of most pheasant stocking locations.

I feel the biggest issue with the Lackawanna State Park is the lack of area. It is surrounded by private land. Lots of safety zones to be aware of. The area fills up quick, gets pressured hard, and birds not killed end up on the private land rather quickly.

It's better than nothing though. Just stay safe.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the heads up. May not be worth the drive. I want to go but don't want to get shot either.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
I won't even consider going to the state park, I don't care if they put 5000 pheasants there. Reminds me of the first day of trout if you know what I mean.

·
Registered
18,422 Posts
BRDOGS said:
They stock the state park. It is beyond crazy there on the first day or any day the PGC stocks.
X2
I usually hit the side hill next to the large switch grass field once or twice later in the season for cottontail. I usually kill two or three there each visit.
There is another spot just down the road along the creek that I would kill a few rabbits at every year as well. Only problem now is that someone built a house on the side hill above the state land. Every cottontail the dogs start now proceeds to run directly up to the house and run along the edge of the homeowner's property. The commotion then draws him out and he usually starts yelling. I quit hunting there after a few encounters.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts