The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get some opinions, past experiences...

I planted my fall food plot back on Sept 3... I planted mostly a cereal grain, winter peas, clover and brassica mix. Since then I have been watching the NOAA weather radar like a mad man.
They have pretty accurate radars and precip estimators. Anyways, according to NOAA, I have gotten about 2 tenths of an inch of rain since the planting on Sept. 3!
It's like our hunting property has a vortex around it. Other areas of PA have been swamped while we are dry...

I was up at our food plot Sept 13, 10 days after it was planted and a few days after the only decent rain event we had in that time period... There wasn't much sign of anything sprouting other than on the edges where it stays shady and wetter a bit more where some of the cereal grains and brassicas appeared to just be coming up.

Since Sept 13, we've gotten a trace of rain if that... The weather forecasts finally are calling for substantial rainfall for the area this weekend with 3 quarter to an inch plus of rain in the forecast!
So my question is, is my food plot gonna be a wreck or will it pull through with this rain we should finally get?

Did the seeds sprout and then get hit with 2 weeks of no rain and died? Have they been able to hold their own and will blow up with the new rain? Have they not sprouted at all waiting for more rain? If this is the case, will the late sprouting cause them to suffer since it is so late into September now? Our property is in southern Bedford County, just a couple miles from the Maryland line, so the fact that we are far south may help the cause a bit?

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated! I hate to think all my hard work was a waste since it just wouldn't rain for the last 2 weeks! I just pray the weather man is finally right and it actually rains unlike the last two times when they were calling for substantial precip and all we got was a trace if that!

THANKS!

·
Registered
8,449 Posts
its what we call a failed foodplot. it [censored] when ya put alot of effort in it and it doesnt turn out. we cant control the weather. hope there are better growing coditions next year.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Welcome to farming

Hard to tell and it might have germinated since you were there. If you get rain and it has not yet germinated you will get growth but it will not have as much size as if it had germinated earlier.

A total failure is not likely.

·
Registered
16,532 Posts
You'll be fine. We're starting into the rainy time of year actually. Once that ground wets, up it will come. Better to have your scenario than to lose an entire field of Buckwheat to a late May frost. Been there.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
You should have me plant your plots. Every time I plant a plot, it rains within a day or 2, it seems........

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wish that was the case for me! But looking at the radar, I am finally get some decent rain this weekend! We will see if my plot comes to life now or if it's a mess. I will be up there Thursday to find out... I'll post pictures of the happiness or sadness, depending!

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Gee, I hate to see a grown man cry. LOL

First foo plot I ever planted was in May 1991. Did not rain for the next 7 weeks........

·
Registered
125 Posts
i woudl reccomend if nothing comes up...next time use a innoculant it truly does help in these situations. or a seed that has a GOOD one already coated on it..... i wont plant with out useing it, i want every edge i can get being the amount of work that goes into planting a succesful plot..hope this helps...also a good soil conditioner and/or liquid fert will also help things along greatly

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I did use an innoculant for my clovers and peas. The plot was already limed and properly fertilized in advance of the planting...

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Lack of rain... UPDATED w/ pics

Well, I made it up to PA for the day today. What a beautiful day to be in the woods!
The food plot looks better than I thought it might...
As some said it might be, it is far behind what it should be for having been planted 4 weeks ago(planted Sept. 3). However, it does seem to have sprouted well with good germination. Fairly good coverage, some spotty areas...

Like a dummy, I forgot to actually take close up pics of it!
However, the wheat and oats are about 4"-5" tall, the brassicas are 3"-4" tall, the winter peas are 5"-6" tall and the clovers are just sprouting(white clover) to 3" tall(crimson clover). Not sure if I will be OK, or if the possible frost coming in the next couple weeks will do it in... I guess only time will tell.
However the deer and turkeys are already in the plot going at it... 217 pictures taken from 09/13 to today.

Sorry for the lack of close up photos... I blew that one! But here are a few from the game camera I had set up on the plot. You can see the progression fairly well in them.

A turkey digging up my oats and wheat before it got a chance to sprout! Sept. 13, little growth...

Gobbler strolling through looking to steal more of my oats and wheat! Sept 17, a little more growth.

3 gobblers the next day, maybe they are starting to peck at the new growth coming up rather than stealing seeds?

A few of the local antlerless population taking advantage of the new food source. Sept 24, notice the growth has exploded!

More of the ladies and a boy munching away... Sept 29, with the rain we got a little less than a week ago, perhaps the plot will take off and do OK?

The only legal buck to visit the plot and get caught on camera so far...

·
Registered
75 Posts
Re: Lack of rain... UPDATED w/ pics

looks good,,its getting alot of action,,i planted mine on sept 9th its growing good but the deer are mowing down the winter wheat before it gets a chance to get tall. keep us updated,,

1 - 11 of 11 Posts