The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why does everyone think there's less hunters in the woods today?
I think it's hunters seeing less deer.Who the heck wants to spend 10 hours in the cold on post without seeing deer.Don't get me wrong I know the deer are there.Like myself I have 2 children and work full-time so don't have many chances to scout preseason.
And if there's less hunters shouldn't we be seeing more deer?I know in rifle season the more hunters the better but if no one's seeing deer where are they going?

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
6 shots ,that's what I heard the first week of buck, 2 on the Saturday opener and 4 sat am, I live in a place that you could not count the shots 20 years ago there were so many. Also 90 percent of the land around me is posted, I am of the opinion that posted property is the main problem,.

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I talked to a game commission officer and he told me come rifle season the deer are leaving the private land and going on sgl's
Why's that?Lack of hunters hunting sgl?

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Okay...I officially do not anticipate a lot of shooting in rifle season anymore.
For the guys that have been hunting 25 plus years. You need to forget about how rifle season use to be. It has changed for good.
I just said that to my brother the Friday before the season started. That we still think of rifle season, how use to be. Shooting and deer movement how it was years ago. It’s not that way anymore and never will be again.

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
Could be treedaddy , my property and the 2 properties next to me comprise approximately 480 acres and no one shoots does.

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So how are the rifle hunters hunting?Are they sitting dark till dark?
I try to sit all day next to thick stuff and hope a deer gets bounced to me
I don't think I can still hunt and sneak up to a deer without it knowing I was there

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
The popularity of the rut. Lets face it, you can't beat hunting bucks during the rut. Pa is finally giving more hunters opportunities with various weapons and longer seasons. Rifle hunting peaked at a different time, with completely different kinds of hunters, with entirely different motives.

·
Registered
675 Posts
If you think its bad now,just wait another 5yrs. My biggest concern is the lack of does being harvest at least here in 2a. But where due for the EHD here and when it does it knocks the areas that have it down. As i stated before people do not have a desire to hunt anymore,and alot of guys hunt till 11am and call it a day or jump in truck and road hunt or park along a field and hope something steps out before dark,see it time and time again in my area.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Lackawanna, get the drives goin again like you did last year. If I remember correctly you guys did pretty well. always a lot of fun anyway. That’s always my main focus during rifle nowadays.

·
Registered
5,595 Posts
I never expect to see hunters, hear shooting or have deer pushed to me. With the lack of hunters there's plenty of unpressured areas where deer are naturally moving. Deer still have to feed and plenty of rutting still going on.

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
I never expect to see hunters, hear shooting or have deer pushed to me. With the lack of hunters there's plenty of unpressured areas where deer are naturally moving. Deer still have to feed and plenty of rutting still going on.

That right there.. You gotta run your own hook now, can't depend on hunting pressure any more, in some areas. The rifle season is becoming more like the flintlock season in that you have to go hunt them because they aint getting pushed to you. That suits me fine. I like the woods to myself. Guys want to quit, great, kids don't want to hunt fine by me, less pressure, more deer. :smile2:

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
I saw around 50 deer yesterday including 5 different bucks with 2 of those being really nice. I tagged a nice doe around 10:30 and passed on several others in the afternoon.

My dad and 2 nieces were less than 200 yards away and only saw 6.

·
Registered
4,408 Posts

That right there.. You gotta run your own hook now, can't depend on hunting pressure any more, in some areas. The rifle season is becoming more like the flintlock season in that you have to go hunt them because they aint getting pushed to you. That suits me fine. I like the woods to myself. Guys want to quit, great, kids don't want to hunt fine by me, less pressure, more deer.
Yes sir.

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
If you think its bad now,just wait another 5yrs. My biggest concern is the lack of does being harvest at least here in 2a. But where due for the EHD here and when it does it knocks the areas that have it down. As i stated before people do not have a desire to hunt anymore,and alot of guys hunt till 11am and call it a day or jump in truck and road hunt or park along a field and hope something steps out before dark,see it time and time again in my area.
A large number of hunters today grew up in the era of a deer behind every tree and thus they didn’t really have to “hunt” for anything, just sit on a stump and wait for one to get pushed to you.

News flash: if the deer aren’t being pushed, they will move from their feeding areas into their bedding cover and stay put most of the day. This is happening more and more and guys claim that there aren’t any deer out there because they sat on a wide open ridge side and didn’t see anything moving through there by 10 and called it a day...

·
Premium Member
24,151 Posts
I talked to a game commission officer and he told me come rifle season the deer are leaving the private land and going on sgl's
Why's that?Lack of hunters hunting sgl?
I hunted game lands Saturday and didn’t hear one shot!

1 - 20 of 50 Posts