The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any lab training clubs that have property to train on (plant birds, etc.) in PA? A buddy of mine had me on NAVHDA property in Kittaning and very cool to have somewhere like that to train. Before I join, I figured I'd check to see if anyone knows of anything like this for Retrievers as NAHVDA is more toward pointers.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
dap said:
308 ruger said:
Are there any lab training clubs?
I know some labs can be hard headed, but have you considered an e-collar rather than a club?
Now that's funny! I think both of mine need a club

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
The club would do much more for the dog and the owner than a collar would ever do !!
To use a collar you should be trained how to use it because it can do more harm than good if not used correctly!!
Also the dog must be trained first and then use the collar as an extended version of a leash !!

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys, ive got a few billy clubs :)

Key to the club i'm looking for is something that has decent grounds for me to train on.

Pluses of this property is a decent pond for swim training, good fields for training. Can plant birds year round to shoot over. Only about an hour away. My buddy breeds and trains GSPs so i can work with him a little, but of course pointer and retreiver training has its differences.

If I join after 8-1-16 my fee (110.00) will cover this year and next. Probably going to sign up for this if I dont come across anything specifically retriever club.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
The Greater Pittsburgh Labrador Retriever Club leases a few hundred acres in Imperial. They have training days once per month and a yearly AKC sanctioned hunt test. Nice group of people. They have a mix of nice fields and water. You can purchase pheasants and chukars for training days in the fall. They use dead ducks for training at other times. Memebers are permitted to use the training grounds any time as it is designated a dog traininf grounds by the PGC. My girlfriend belongs to the club and her ex husband is the Vice President. Their webpage is Greater Pittsburgh Labrador Retriever Club. .

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mark Ramela said:
The Greater Pittsburgh Labrador Retriever Club leases a few hundred acres in Imperial. They have training days once per month and a yearly AKC sanctioned hunt test. Nice group of people. They have a mix of nice fields and water. You can purchase pheasants and chukars for training days in the fall. They use dead ducks for training at other times. Memebers are permitted to use the training grounds any time as it is designated a dog traininf grounds by the PGC. My girlfriend belongs to the club and her ex husband is the Vice President. Their webpage is Greater Pittsburgh Labrador Retriever Club. .
Definitely will look at this one.

·
Super Moderator
2,886 Posts
REDLAB said:
The club would do much more for the dog and the owner than a collar would ever do !!
To use a collar you should be trained how to use it because it can do more harm than good if not used correctly!!
Also the dog must be trained first and then use the collar as an extended version of a leash !!
Hi Redlab,
My post about the e-collar instead of a club was meant as a joke. The club to which I was referring was a heavy wooden stick rather than a group of people with a shared interest.

Your post about proper use of an e-collar is spot-on.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.