The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

lab sprayed by skunk

2K views 11 replies 12 participants last post by  buckspa 
#1 ·
lab was sprayed by skunk, now sick, is this normal?

#3 ·
This works for me (the weims love skunk catching.)

Quart of hydrogen peroxide
1/4 cup baking soda
some liquid dish soap to make it stick.
Wash, rinse, repeat.

The dog might be miserable for a few hours or even a day or two, but my experience is that's normal.

#4 ·
Post above is spot on. My lab was skunked right before Christmas. I still catch hints of skunk at times in the house.

The mixture above worked wonders for him, though, really got the stink off him. His cloth collar was just a loss, I didn't even bother with it, but that peroxide mixture saved his e-collar, even though there's till a hint of Pepe Le Pew on it from time to time. Mostly, it's when I take it off him at night that I smell it. Must be his body heat or something that brings it out? I don't know.

Keep an eye on the dog and see if he improves. Should be temporary, usually drooling, eyes watering, rubbing their face, etc....the spray is a serious irritant. So much so that my 90lb lab avoids ANY small furry creatures still, and it's since that encounter with the skunk. Hopefully he will chase rabbits for me eventually!

#5 ·
Peroxide and baking soda works, but so does good old tomato juice.

As far as being sick, mine never were. I would guess that it can happen though. Good luck.

#6 ·
A six pack of cheap beer in the tub works well also for the smell. Learned this from an old timer who did nuisance trapping.
And definitely the "essence" is a strong irritant, meant to do more than just stink up the skunks enemy. Dog should be OK....just keep an eye on him.
As for the smell....even when you think you have it conquered....be prepared to smell it again some when your dog gets wet or its damp or humid...it can linger for quite awhile

#10 ·
You need to use this skunk potion to appreciate it. It's so cheap it aint funny, and works great. After getting the worst off of the dog, dump the mix and start with a fresh batch, don't forget to use a new rag too. My beagle once had a direct line of skunk sprayed right across the front of the chest. Hit the sprayed area good, mixed a new batch hit it again, mixed another new batch and did the whole dog. After the dog dried, you had to stick your nose right up on the sprayed area to even get the slightest hint of skunk. Gave him a regular bath the next day and it was all good. One batch of this mix only costs about $2. I can't imagine anything working better on skunk.
I would never waste good beer (it's all good, some is just better than others) on a skunky dog. I wouldn't even waste skunky beer on a skunky dog, well.... that wouldn't get you very far now would it.

#12 ·
Nature's Miracle (enzyme odor eater) worked pretty well for us...but the stink will linger for a while, especially after the dog gets wet. I believe the getting sick part is pretty normal especially if your pup took a direct hit or ingested some spray. I remember reading how toxic the spray (sulfur compound?) is if it gets inhaled/ingested, so keep an eye on your pup. Good luck.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.