The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,994 Posts

·
Registered
781 Posts
They really don't look bad without being blued. I used Belgium Blue on mine and it turned out ok. Polishing is the key. I posted a picture on here somewhere. Definitely a great upgrade but truthfully with a little bit of work and a Lyman Frizzen, you can get a TC lock to perform well and not ruin your stock. But the L&R makes a fun project and performs very well out of the box.

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
I've got one of their Queen Anne locks on my smoothbore. Compared to the Siler on my other flintlock, the L&R is definitely lower quality. It uses thinner bolts to hold the parts together. The frizzen has some play in it, and the lock plate and pan needed smoothing over to remove cast marks, etc before browning. It works well enough, but doesn't hold a candle to my Siler for quality of construction and speed of lock time.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Do some internal polishing to your TC Lock and install a Lyman frizzen and you will have a lock that sparks just as good as an L&R. My L&R is no more reliable than my TC lock,however I do like how the frizzen covers the pan on the L&R.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, I have been thinking of trying the Lyman frizzen before changing the whole thing. Cherry red just isn't getting me where I want

1 - 8 of 8 Posts