The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10,845 Posts
That the last 10 days or so gobblers always move to particular locations on the ridge I hunt. I notice this every single season and continue to ignore this by chasing them where I heard them the first couple weeks. Usually during the last week of the season I am able to squeeze in one day and that’s when I go to these spots and always hear them. Always come close to killing them to but end up not being able to close the deal. I really think my odds would be higher if I used vacation on the last week of the season instead of the first couple weeks. The gobblers seem to be more predictable then and they are not as henned up.

·
Registered
5,785 Posts
I been doing this a long time, so I didn't really learn this last year, but many, many years ago..... Hunt turkeys where there ARE turkeys!! Seems elementary, but you can't hunt them where they ain't. Put yourself in birds as much as you can and your learning curve gets much shorter.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
I been doing this a long time, so I didn't really learn this last year, but many, many years ago..... Hunt turkeys where there ARE turkeys!! Seems elementary, but you can't hunt them where they ain't. Put yourself in birds as much as you can and your learning curve gets much shorter.
Agreed. What tactic may have been a mistake last year may be your wildcard this year. Turkeys are fairly unpredictable birds. We try to overthink the whole process most of the time, just get out there, find decent turkey property, make sure your gun can hold a good pattern, and the rest should fall into place.:turkey_track::turkey_track::turkey_track:

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
Learned this a long time ago. Call sparingly and sit and watch more. With a lot of hunting pressure birds adapt and don't like advertising their position. I drag a striker across a glass call twice and give five clucks and get ready.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I called a bird from the opposite ridge seen him coming and he went behind a bush abt 60 yds over a hour later I thought he must have snuck away so I stood up and he ran away PATIENCE

1 - 6 of 6 Posts