The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am tired of dealing with poor knives and sharpening systems. I have a GATCO diamond sharpening system but don't know what angles to sharpen the knives at it doesn't sharpen the knives well at all ( might be operator error). I need suggestions on decent priced skinning knives, meat cutting knives ( I use a fillet knife) and their preference of simple sharpening system.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Rather than do this all over again it would be faster to read this.

There is a link there in my post that will help.

Sorry to say this but I think the problem with your system might be the operator.

The choice of angles also make a big difference in how long a blade will hold an edge.

As to manufacturer--it depends a little bit of what you want--if you want pretty thats one thing, if you want functional that is another.

For function it is hard to beat good old steel--it will take an excellent edge quickly, and is easily maintained.

A good place to start your selection can be found here.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I have a big fan of the lansky. It might take a while at first to get the angle right, but once you have the edge on it, it does not take long to keep it like a razor blade

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
Hands down the best skinning knife Ive used is the Gerber Profile with Gator grip. Very sharp and easy to sharpen. Holds and edge well too and its very affordable. JMO

http://www.knivesplus.com/gerberknifegb-1795.html

For touching up the edge I use this

I only use the porcelain side the carbide side will destroy the factory edge. A few swipes across the rods and its ready to shave. I think these are only like $4

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
I use a Lansky knife sharpener, works great too! It has the angles stamped into the knife holder. My wife will not let me sharpen her kitchen knives, she says they are just too sharp!

·
Registered
363 Posts
Benchmade are expensive but high quality and solid company. Blade steel makes the difference, some sharpen easy, some not so easy-but hold the edge longer.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
I do it the old way, a good arkansas stone and a leather strap. Must be doing it right, everyone at camp says "do me a favor sharpen my knife"

·
Registered
10,656 Posts
i can put a pretty good edge on with the arkansas stone but im nowhere near good enough to get it Lansky sharp.

·
Premium Member
23,984 Posts
Have one of these for about 20 years. Use on all my fillet & hunting knives.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
Do a search for "paper wheel sharpening system" they are hands down, the very best available. Razor sharp in seconds, no special skills needed.

·
Premium Member
23,984 Posts
arrowhead said:
Do a search for "paper wheel sharpening system" they are hands down, the very best available. Razor sharp in seconds, no special skills needed.
are they portable??

·
Registered
23 Posts
My Dad was A butcher by trade taught all his kids to sharpen knives with an arkansaw stone , steel and a leather strop.easy to do once you learn

·
Super Moderator
12,783 Posts
crazydog said:
My Dad was A butcher by trade taught all his kids to sharpen knives with an arkansaw stone , steel and a leather strop.easy to do once you learn
My dad could sharpen anything using the same methods you have listed, but unfortunately I was not a good student. I can start out with a sharp knife and render it useless in seconds with a stone. However I have managed to use a steel sharpener over the years.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Take the time and learn to use the Gatco. They are as good as any of the others. I've used most all of them and they all have good and bad points.
You can purchase a complete butchering outfit for about $30 if you look around. Old Hickory made by Ontario knife, based in Franklinville NY are a good buy. Best prices i have found are on Amazon.com. 2 6" boning knives, a 7" butcher and a smalll cleaver is all ya need. They will last a lifetime.
Being a custom knifemaker, I get all kinda requests to sharpen knives for customers. most I do on a belt grinder and strop to finish.

·
Registered
15 Posts
As stated earlier, a large part of your problem is probably operator error. I mean that in a kindly way. It takes considerable practice with whatever tool you use.

The Lansky with diamond stones will do well if you take some time. Avoid hard steels at first. AUS8 should work well.

If you want to try free hand sharpening, a medium India stone is an excellent beginning sharpener.

Just my $.02 worth.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts