The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a knight-85 muzzleloader that i purchased last year, and im trying to shhot it but cant find primers to fit. i tried musket caps, they fit but the issue is that the (lack of better words) striker dont reach the primer, its about 1/4'-3/8" away after firing. now my thought is does this gun already have the 209 primer conversion kit installed? that would nean i need the red caps with 209 primers installed, that would make up the distance. how do i know this? i taken gun to local shops with now answers. does anyone have this conversion done on ther gun? it this point the gun is usless.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I have the Knight with the dics type ignition. It has no nipple to put a cap on. My buddy has the one with a nipple and it takes a plastic cat holder. Both use 209 primers.
i would get a bag of plastic caps and try it. they are only a couple bucks. I dont recall ant Knight rifles using cap type primers but its been years since I reviewed them. I have a 45 disc that will drive tacks at 100 yd. I also use the pellet powder.

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
^^^^THIS!!!^^^ You need the primer jackets for all of the more recent Knight rifles (I believe) - the key is that the firing pin is so far away. The jackets do a few things on top of making it actually go bang - easier to prime/deprime than with just primers, somewhat better at keeping the thing watertight in rain, etc. They're cheap too - Midway just had em on sale a week or two ago - maybe ten cents a pc? Look at Knight's site - you should be able to find info and a manual on your gun there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts