The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok folks, I am gauging interest and also want to know if we are allowed to do this per forum rules.

I mentioned on another post about doing knife in the hat or a knife swap. Here is what would happen, we would decide on a style and materials and a time line. Then anyone who agrees to it will make a knife. Once done we will post them on here for all to see. Then we would put the names in a hat and randomly draw who gets what knife. So each participant would be receiving a knife from one of the other participants. Obviously we would do as many participate that want to but we would have to make sure we have enough so no one would be shorted.

So who would be interested in doing this?

Ross

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I'd be up for it. Someone on here requested my first custom made knife so I have to knock that out first but I'd be game.

That and I forge outside so I'm still waiting for it to stop being freezing cold haha.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok that makes four of us. Lets see if we can get some more. then we can decided the parameters of what to make.

Ross

·
Registered
388 Posts
doesn't matter noob old whatever.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yep don't matter your skill level as long as you do your best and have fun. To me its part of the enjoyment of these kind of swaps

That makes five. Come on there has to be a few more of you out there.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok so there we have five interested parties.

Here would be my thought for criteria

Hunting style knife
Fixed blade
Blade length between 3-4 inches
Made from a old file
Handle material: any your choice
Timeline a month from start date

What do you guys think. I was choosing and old file cause I suspect most of us can come up with one and the new guys can follow the tutorial. I will randomly pick who gets each knife in fact we can do that at the start that way none of us have seen any of the knives. Posting the finished knive in the knife forum is a must so all can see your work. Remember this isn't about being a great knife worker it is about doing your best and sharing your work and getting a keepsake from someone else as well. So lets chat it up and see what we come up with.

Ross

·
Registered
388 Posts
ya, I said I was in.

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
I can't wait to see what you guys come up with, post pics! Wish I knew how to make knives, this seems like it will be a cool idea!

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok so here are the official guidelines:

Hunting style knife
Fixed blade
Blade length between 3-4 inches
Made from a old file
Handle material: any your choice
Timeline Start Date: March 12, End Date: April 11th(knives ship the week of the 11th)

Have fun with it that is the most important thing. You are making a knife for a fellow forum member. Obviously if you are in you agree to ship the knife to your assigned person at your cost. Feel free to start them anytime, I chose the 12th so if anyone else wants in they can. Post pictures of your creation once you are finished. If you want to make a sheath go for it that is up to the maker. IF anyone needs help let us know, between Birdog and myself I am sure we can give you some guidance. Did I miss anything men? I am assuming everyone is over 18!

Participants:

RossR
Birdog
PA Woodsman
burninghxc Soul
Blacksmith

Get building and have fun

Ross

1 - 20 of 92 Posts