The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys and Gals,

I'm looking for an recommendations for a good professional knife sharpener I can take a few knives to around the Lebanon/Harrisburg area. I need to get a few of them touched up but want a professional who does really good work. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Mac

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
It's been decades since I used one. But think restaurant and not hunting. If you can't locate a restaurant knife sharpener directly, check with a restaurant supply atore. If they don't do sharpening, they'll know who does in the area.

Just sharpened up two knives for the home Thanksgiving turkey. Some skills have nothing to do with hunting.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
i can't fathom paying someone to touch up my knives unless they are really tore up.

I've also given up on expensive sharpening gadgets. I've gone to using wet dry sand paper. 400 grit cleans it up, 600, then 800 polishes and if you really want a mirror edge, go to the 1200 but I really have no need to go that fine. knives are like razor blades and rarely need the 400 grit. a quick touch on the 800 is usually all i need.

another good value in sharpening is the ceramic rod from Ikea. I use it on the kitchen knives all the time. it cuts quick, clean, cleans easily, and takes my Santoku to a sushi slicing sharpness like no other kitchen sharpener has ever done.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
i'd recomend a lansky sharpener. i've used them a few times. suicidal sharp finish. last i looked they were like 40 bucks

·
Registered
137 Posts
i bought that knife sharpener from the harrisburg show. its neon yellow and has little forks that stick out. i bought the original one years ago and wore it out. i love them. gets it super sharp and so easy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts