The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New guy going to try knife making after taking class. Forge/ anvil outside but shop with belt gringer/drill press etc in unheated shed. What problems should I be on the look out for in unheated shop if any?

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Rust???

I currently forge outside right beside my shed in my woodline. I have an old school lever forge that I use, I built a cover for it. The top is made out of that steel used for pole buildings, the sides are 3 layers of the thickest house seathing lowes had. I have had zero rust issues with my forge in 1.5 years of it being outside. I have a dedicated shelf in my shed for all of my blacksmith tools and I carry my 178lb anvil out and set it on the stump everytime I forge. My shed is not heated, sometimes stuff develops surface rust/patina on it but any normal forging will make it bright again in no time so I dont worry about it.

All of my machinery is in my garage so I can't speak to that but as long as water doesnt leak into it and get over everything you should be good. I keep all of my yard equipment in the shed and I've never had any problems with anything not working.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Keep a small fan, or ceiling fan going where you have your grinder/drill press. It will help[ cut down on excess humidity. I have an overhead fan that's been running non-stop, cept for power outages, for 20 yrs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts