The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been watching forged in fire . Looks interesting. Any actual blade smiths in SE Pa? Delaware, chester, Berkshire, Lancaster Co, that might want to mentor thru a knife or 2?

·
Registered
622 Posts
Been watching forged in fire . Looks interesting. Any actual blade smiths in SE Pa? Delaware, chester, Berkshire, Lancaster Co, that might want to mentor thru a knife or 2?
I'm in Ohio west of Youngstown would like to but probably to far.?????

·
Registered
341 Posts
Ralph,

Tons of information out there. There are numerous knife maker forums which have loads of information there for the looking. Also there are several books, One is Wayne Goddards $50 knife shop. Easy to follow directions and shows how you can make a knife on the cheap. There must be someone in your area who would be willing to help. Knife makers on the whole are very generous with their knowledge.

Good luck and if you have questions ask I will do my best to help!

Ross

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
There are alot of good facebook groups if you are on facebook. But I would suggest doing a little research first on your own. Alot of those groups get inundated with the same "can i make a knife from this random piece of metal that I dont know what it is" and "what do I need to start forging". Sometimes the admins can be a bit cantankerous answering the same new guy questions.

Its a super fun hobby that is highly addicting. be forewarned haha.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah Ohio is a little far as I am near Phila. But thanks for encouragement.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to all for advice. Just started looking and am hoping to hook up with an experienced guy as a mentor.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Find a recent copy of Knives Annual. They are dated yearly and list makers by state with addresses and contact info. There are also several knife clubs out that way. Contact them. Same with the blacksmith groups. Googler is yer friend :)
Kirby Bletcher and Ted Moore are over in the Elizabethtown area.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Any questions , needs, or problems , just post on here and there is enuff help to guide ya thru......
Remember, it ain't rocket science, just toolmaking.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No luck finding a mentor in my area but did find a forge offering classes at a reasonable price in Oct. want to start doing stuff so trying to decide if I should try and make a small (5gal) propane forge or buying an inexpensive one on line (185.00) on EBay. Want to keep costs down until I figure out if this is something I really want to pursue. Opinions on these two choices......will the home made really heat enough to make a blade? Or should I bite the bullet and by this one on line? I'm all ears. Thanks.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Google ABANA, and find your local blacksmith group. IIRC, they have an active bunch out there. They will give some guidance.
I build my own forges and they get hot enuff to make pattern weld steel. (2300+F) The t-rex type burners will do everything ya want. Check out Ron Reil's site , if it's still active.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Google ABANA, and find your local blacksmith group. IIRC, they have an active bunch out there. They will give some guidance.
I build my own forges and they get hot enuff to make pattern weld steel. (2300+F) The t-rex type burners will do everything ya want. Check out Ron Reil's site , if it's still active.
Good place to go is Troy Ohio end of this month American Blade Smith ***. Has event at fair grounds. Easy to get to Cheap Lots of info just for the asking Good demos Cheap less than 100.00 weekend event. Just North of Dayton Ohio. Look up their web site you won't be sorry. Would like to go if I can make it. These are some of the most friendly people you will ever meet and some big name bladesmiths. Look it up Thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts