The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Probably wasn't the best of timing, but I just got home from the hospital yesterday with a total left knee replacement.
Going to put a dent on my hunting season but couldn't wait any longer.
The swelling and rehab is quite gruelling but plan on being ready for the rut and the riffle season.
Wish me luck.

·
Registered
942 Posts
If your recovery is anything like my mom's you'll wonder why you didn't get your knee done 5 years ago. Before she could only walk around for a half an hour till she needed to head for the car. Now she can walk around for hours. Going down hill is still a little painful for her but it's not bad. You'll be fine and glad you had it done. Just be very careful these first couple months that you don't fall on your knee. Another woman I know fell on her freshly replaced knee and had to have surgery again to relieve fluid, swelling, and hemmoraging. Do what the PT guy tells you even when it hurts. Sometimes you need to break up adhesions and scar tissue inside your knee. Good luck this year. Wish you a quick recovery.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Susygjoe, welcom to the otherside. I had a complete replacement on Aug.3 and doing very well. My goal was up tree by the opener in Oct. I am ready. The first 2 weeks are the worst and just gets better each day. Take your time and rest and ice alot,forget 20 on then off. Do your PT and good luck

·
Super Moderator
23,758 Posts
i deal with knee replacements all the time you'll be back in action in no time

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Joe:

Good luck. I had both mine replaced last December 11th, the last Friday of buck season.

It has worked out very well so far. I will be ready for archery season. I still get quite a bit of swelling when I am active, which is a lot. I golfed at least three times a week all summer, but am still not as good as I am gonna' be according to what they tell me.

Listen to the guy who told you about the ice. The more the better. My niece told me and she is a PT. Also, you may want to look into a device they have now that encircles your knee and circulates cold water around it. I didn't do it yet but am thinking of borrowing one to give it a try. They cost about $125 or so.

Good luck, always enjoy your posts and agree with you a lot.

The one GREAT thing is, THE PAIN IS GONE. Even though they swell up and get a little stiff, there is no pain.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Guys
It's only day 4 (post Op) but am doing well.
Can't wait to get in that stand.
Getting the other one done in February.
Thanks TedC54

·
Super Moderator
23,758 Posts
cold therapy does work very well but is not ussually covered by insurance.

if you can get your dr to get you a CPM machine they are great for home rehab

1 - 8 of 8 Posts